Job Title: Instructor, Aboriginal Studies
Full Time/Part Time: Part Time
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Aboriginal Studies
Description of Position:
The Aboriginal Studies department at Langara College is looking for an instructor (or instructors) to teach ABST 1104-Canadian Aboriginal Policy and Aboriginal Studies 1116-Aboriginal Women in Canada in the fall of 2019 ( see https://langara.ca/programs-and-courses/courses/ABST/) Aboriginal Studies offers first and second year university transfer courses.
- Master’s Degree in relevant field (e.g. Indigenous Studies, Women’s or Gender Studies; PhD preferred).
- Comprehensive understanding of domestic and international policies affecting Aboriginal Peoples pre/post-Canadian confederation including policy impacts on socio-economic determinants of health, identity and the unique diasporic challenges facing Aboriginal Peoples on/off reserve.
- Comprehensive understanding of critical intersectional feminist scholarship.
- Experience with community-based and participatory action scholarship with a strong emphasis on decolonization and resurgence.
- Post-secondary teaching experience to teach courses from embodied, embedded and emancipatory perspectives.
- Experience using intercultural communication to ‘respectfully’ assist diverse learning styles inside the classroom considered an asset.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help facilitate ABST cultural seminars.
- Effectively use available class and seminar time and maintain appropriate office hours to ensure availability for student consultation.
- Maintain collegial working relationships in a manner consistent with the 4Rs of respect, responsibility, relevance and reciprocity.
- As appropriate, actively seek opportunities to integrate students and learning into on/off reserve organizations throughout British Columbia.
- Be an authentic and active contributor to the Aboriginal Studies Department, the Faculty of Social Sciences and the College.
Length of appointment: September 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019
Start Date: August 1, 2019
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
For further information regarding this opportunity, please contact Justin Wilson, Coordinator Aboriginal Studies Program at email@example.com.
Competition No.: F048-19
Deadline: August 1, 2019
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.