Job Title: Educational Developer
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time, 3/4 of Full-Time
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Teaching & Curriculum Development Centre (TCDC)
Description of Position:
Langara College is committed to a culture of teaching excellence by creating opportunities for faculty and instructional staff to enhance teaching and learning by building upon their instructional skills, strategies, and knowledge. The Teaching & Curriculum Development Centre (TCDC) encourages innovation and excellence in curriculum development and program design and supports faculty in maintaining and improving Langara's high standards of teaching and learning. TCDC guides and supports departments through the program review process with a focus on program strengths and future goals; it builds and renews program curriculum with input from all stakeholders, and fosters intercultural awareness and understanding in a collegial environment with services, resources, and activities to meet the College’s educational goals.
The Educational Developer reports to the TCDC Department Chair and together they provide strategic vision and operational planning for the professional development cycle of Langara faculty and instructional staff (new hires, mid-career, and experienced instructors) regarding teaching and learning. The Educational Developer creates or makes available programs/courses and resources on learning, pedagogy and course design and development. The Educational Developer responsible for identifying needs and collaborating with internal/external contacts to promote and support quality professional development for faculty and instructional staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with the TCDC Department Chair to envision, design, implement, and evaluate professional development activities within a faculty engagement cycle
- Collaborates with the EdTech Department Chair and advisors to develop offerings in complementary areas
- Creates opportunities for faculty and instructional staff to network and exchange ideas with colleagues in and outside the college on issues central to excellence in teaching
- Conducts ongoing needs assessments in order to develop a comprehensive program of faculty and instructional staff development activities
- Ensures the learning needs of faculty and instructional staff drive the content, delivery, and evaluation of custom educational activities on pedagogical topics
- Produces resources or learning opportunities that support the teaching and learning objectives defined in Langara’s Strategic and Academic Plans, recommended through the Academic Priority Action Groups or related initiatives
- Contributes to the acquisition, development and revision of resources for faculty and instructional staff which support and promote excellence in curriculum and teaching practices
- Promotes relevant learning opportunities to the college community
- Acts as a resource for and works with internal and external groups to promote learning-centred practices across Langara College and the province (as appropriate)
- Leads/chairs relevant advisory or working groups
- Co-coordinates annual APAG conference with the APAG Conference Liaison/Coordinator
- Maintains currency with trends in pedagogy and post-secondary, adult education, training and development
- Manages TCDC educational development budget
- Participates in strategic and budget planning as required
- Participates in a variety of College committees as appropriate
- Ensures currency and relevance of content on TCDC website
- Represents the College at relevant provincial and national committees
- Minimum of a Master's Degree in adult education, instructional design or equivalent; combination of education and experience may be considered
- Five or more years of full time direct teaching experience in post-secondary education
- Successful experience in professional development planning, coordination and administration
- Ability to conduct an employee educational/development needs analysis
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in adult learning particularly with respect to innovative pedagogies and high impact practices in post-secondary teaching and learning
- Knowledge of community, business, professional and technical education resources
- Demonstrated ability to manage and balance operational budgets and perform other related fiscal responsibilities
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing personal professional development
- Excellent oral written, communication, analytical and time management skills
- Ability to take initiative and work collaboratively with diverse academic and administrative staff
- Formal or informal faculty mentoring experience
- Strong interpersonal communications and group facilitation skills
- Demonstrated ability to chair committees and reach consensus where disagreement may exist
Length of appointment: This is a 3/4 of full-time, continuing position to start as soon as possible.
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F076-08
Deadline: October 12, 2018
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.