Job Title: Counsellor
Full Time/Part Time: Full time initially then part time (see below for details)
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Counselling Department
Description of Position:
The Langara College Counselling Department requires a counsellor to provide personal, educational, career, and crisis counselling on an individual and group basis to a diverse student population. The Langara Counselling Department uses a holistic approach that blends personal and educational counselling which includes academic advising. Other responsibilities will include involvement in department and campus initiatives, consultation with internal and external services, and the development and facilitation of groups and workshops.
This is a temporary position to start ASAP with the possibility of additional work. The position will start with full-time hours (30 weekly) and transition to part-time hours (18 – 22.5 weekly):
July (starting date TBD) - October 31, 2019 (1.0 FTE)
Nov 1, 2019 – August 31, 2020 (.6 - .75 FTE)
Work will be Monday-Friday, varied hours from 8:30 am-4:30 pm with the occasional evening until 6:00 pm.
- Master’s degree in Counselling Psychology or a related discipline
- Registration with a professional licensing body (i.e., BCACC, CCPA, BCCSW, CPBC)
- Skills and experience with risk assessment and crisis intervention
- Recent counselling experience in a post-secondary setting (preferred)
- Familiarity and comfort working within a short-term brief counselling model
- Expertise working with individuals with significant mental health difficulties; mental health assessment (preferred)
- Recent experience providing educational counselling /academic advising including familiarity with the university transfer system and relevant resources is an asset
- Recent experience in developing and facilitating student-success and student-retention initiatives (preferred)
- Recent experience working with diverse client populations
Length of appointment: Starting date TBD ASAP - August 2020. Additional work may become available.
Salary Range: Salary placement is on the Langara Faculty Association salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Competition #: F036-19
Deadline: June 27, 2019
Application Information: To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here.”
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those candidates shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.