Temporary, Part-Time (specifically previous experience supervising RMT students during a clinical internship or outreach.)
Start Date: September 1, 2018 to December 2018 (and possible continuation)
Description of Position:
As an Instructor in the Registered Massage Therapy Program, you are an RMT in good standing with the College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia with a minimum of 2500 hours of clinical experience. Your role is primarily to instruct and deliver the subject content in a manner that engages, stimulates and fosters student learning.
Reporting to the Clinical Coordinator and Program Coordinator, the RMT Program Clinical Supervisor is responsible to oversee students during their clinical internship either in the Langara RMT Program Public Clinic or at off-site locations that meet program objectives. Clinical instructors are responsible for course content review in the form of tutorials as well as student evaluations as set out in the RMT curriculum. This responsibility includes planning lessons and organizing instructional resources in order to facilitate the achievement of the course learning outcomes. The RMT Clinical Instructor is responsible for the assessment of these learning outcomes. The incumbent assists in duties that support the operation of the program, and contributes positively to the program by demonstrating commitment, cooperation, flexibility and professional and appropriate behaviour.
- Course preparation and delivery
- Delivery of the course material as described in the RMT clinical tutorial guidelines in a passionate and enthusiastic manner
- Plan and prepare lessons in an organized and logical manner that fulfill the course objectives
- Use of a variety of teaching and assessment methods during student interactions
- Mark and review student evaluations according to set guidelines in order to assess students in all skill areas
- Demonstrate effective clinical management skills
- Demonstrate effective time management skills
- Engage students in a variety of activities to consolidate learning
- Create an environment conducive to purposeful learning and positive interaction
- Administrative responsibilities
- Arrange a substitute instructor to teach your class in circumstances of unavoidable absence in accordance with the RMT Program substitution guidelines
- Maintain attendance records and notify the Program Coordinator in a timely manner of students with poor attendance and or students who are consistently disengaged
- Prepare, administer and grade all evaluations in a timely manner
- Prepare class notes when needed
- Attend scheduled mid-term meetings when possible, PD days and orientation sessions
Perform all operations of the student clinic including opening and closing the space; managing the shift independently or with other clinical instructors in the absence of administrative support. As this shift falls outside of the typical work week, this additional responsibility is reflected in the wage for this position.
- Complete any administrative responsibilities in a timely manner and in accordance with prescribed procedures
- Registered Massage Therapist in good standing with the CMTBC with 2500 hours of clinical experience (mandatory)
- Bachelor degree or higher, preferably in health related discipline (desired)
- Current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR C level C
Skills and Abilities:
- Perform all duties in accordance with the policies of Langara College and the terms and conditions of the contract
- Set and model a high standard of professional behaviour and appropriate appearance
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with administrators, peers, support staff, students and the community at large
- Remain current with relevant developments in the practice and professional development of massage therapy
- Maintain current certification in first aid and CPR level C
- Attend scheduled instructor and professional development meetings
- Perform other related duties as required
Length of Appointment: These are term contract (temporary) positions beginning in September and extending through to December 2018, with continuation and possible additional courses moving forward. Availability for Saturday shifts will be given priority.
Application Information: Please quote competition CS05-18 and the subject area of interest and submit your cover letter and résumé to the attention of Cora Van Wyck, Program Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: On-going
Competition No: CS05-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.