Contract, .825 FTE
Start Date: 2019 March Term Onwards
Subject Area: English as a Second Language, LEAP Program, Continuing Studies
The LEAP Program at Langara College is accepting applications for sessional instructors for 2019. Sessions begin every 8 weeks with the upcoming session starting on February 25, 2019. Contract renewal is subject to student enrolment and instructor performance during a one-year probationary period. Teaching contracts are 12 contact hours a week (.825 FTE) and remuneration starts at $8000 per 8-week session.
LEAP is a full-time intensive English language and academic skills program. The Program offers 9 levels of instruction, from LEAP Basics to LEAP 8. At the lower levels, students develop their English language skills through a variety of themes and projects while expanding their knowledge of Vancouver, Canada and the world. At the higher levels, students develop their English and academic skills in preparation for full-time study at college and university.
LEAP follows an integrated skills, task-based approach to language learning. Team-teaching is an integral part of the program. Please visit the Program website at www.langara.bc.ca/leap for more information.
Instructors are responsible for delivering the course as described in the Program curriculum. This includes planning lessons and assignments that fulfill the course objectives, coordinating with team-teacher(s), and giving on-going and final student assessment and evaluation. Instructors are also required to participate in staff meetings, and assist with placement testing.
Education & Experience
- A Master’s Degree with a specialization in TESL (or related field). A Bachelor’s Degree in TESL or a Bachelor’s Degree and a TESL Canada accredited certificate will also be considered.
- Minimum 4 years teaching experience (3200 contact hours) in ESL / EFL at the adult level, with a minimum of 2 years in academic preparation and/or at beginner levels
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience developing materials for an integrated skills curriculum
- Minimum intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Application Information: To apply, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and quote competition CS01-19 in the subject line of your e-mail. Please note that applicants must be available for an interview in Vancouver.
Closing Date: On-going
Competition No.: CS01-19
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.