Temporary Part-Time (Multiple courses/positions)
Subject Area: Real Estate – Residential Builder Licensing
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Duration: May to December 2018, continuing
Description of Position:
Langara Continuing Studies is recruiting instructors for the new Residential Builder Licensing program which will begin in September. Residential Builder Licensing is a growing field and this program will assist graduates in finding employment as subject matter experts in a broad range of industries. This program will appeal to domestic students with an interest in the vibrant construction industry in BC.
Prospective instructors must be available to teach afternoons, evenings, and Saturdays for the program. Classes will be scheduled on a weekly basis depending on course length. All classes will be held at Langara College, Main Campus, located at 100 W. 49th Ave. Instructors will deliver classroom instruction to adult students.
- Construction Custoner Service and Home Warranty Insurance PROP 1108
- Relevant Enactments – Building Code PROP 1111
- Develops and/or utilizes a variety of instructional strategies, techniques and delivery methods designed to meet the individual learning styles of students
- Responsible for developing all curriculum and course materials such as exams, quizzes, assignments, handouts, etc
- Instructs students using lectures, demonstrations, case studies, primary materials, and discussion groups
- Fosters a safe and inclusive learning environment
- Supports intercultural learning for diverse groups of students
- Informs students about course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance policies
- Administers and grades class tests, assignments and examinations as required
- Advises students regarding their academic needs and refers them for additional assistance as needed
- Maintains the necessary supplies to teach class as required
- Maintains daily student records
- Other duties as assigned
Reporting on Student Progress
- Keeps records of student work and correspondence (if necessary), and maintains and reports student participation, evaluations/grades as appropriate
- Communication with Program Coordinator on curriculum, instructional and classroom management issues
- Discusses options for student success with Program Coordinator if a student is not completing modules within time frame or performance expectations.
- Provides Program Coordinator with marked final exams and assignments in a timely manner, enters marks on-line
- Ensures students who are struggling, absent, or have issues that affect their successful progress are supported, and refers students on a pro-active basis to the Program Coordinator
Qualifications for this position:
- Education in a construction related area is required.
- Ability to create appropriate course content, develop exams, assignments, handouts and all relevant teaching materials, choose appropriate texts, etc.
- Recent industry experience of three years or more in a construction professional capacity
- Training, skills-development and/or facilitation experience
- Demonstrate a high level of ability in promoting student learning that is in line with a comprehensive, prepared curriculum
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with people from various cultural and language backgrounds is preferred
- Ability to communicate well in English, orally and in writing is required.
- Exceptions may occur if professional and training experience is extensive
Desirable Qualifications for this position:
- Post-secondary teaching experience in an academic setting
- Experience training individuals or groups in construction programs
- Understanding of Adult Education
- High degree of comfort in working with diverse range of professional back grounds and abilities
- Experience in facilitation or training in the Occupational Health and Safety field , is preferred
Length of Appointment: These contract will be temporary for the duration of the course which can be 18-60 hours. Courses will run once per term ( 3 terms per year) and may be renewed for following terms
Application Information: Please quote competition # CS08-18 and the subject area of interest and submit your cover letter and résumé to the attention of John Neuls, Program Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: May 22, 2018 (applications will be reviewed before the closing date)
Competition No.: CS08-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those short listed will be contacted. We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.