Subject Area: Project Supervision
Reporting to: Program Coordinator, Supply Chain and Logistics Post-Degree Diploma
Duration: January to March 2019, possibly continuing
Description of Position:
The successful candidate will teach one course in Project Supervision that provides an overview of the basic functions and competencies of Project Management. The course covers topics that include Introduction to Project Management, with topics in Scope, Planning, Scheduling; Time, Cost, Resource and Risk Management; and Project Closing. Some applications of processes in MS Project will also be covered. The course is offered in the Continuing Studies Supply Chain and Logistics Post-Degree Diploma program.
Classes will be scheduled during the daytime on a weekly basis over 8 weeks with three-hour classes, from the first week of Jan to the first week of March, 2019. Classes will run on Tuesday mornings. Instructors should be available for this time slot. The course will take place at Langara College main campus in Vancouver, BC.
The successful candidate will prepare and deliver classroom instruction to adult students who have completed undergraduate degrees. Experience with teaching or training International students would be valuable for the role. Demonstrated experience with facilitation, lesson preparation, and academic instruction in PM subject matter at the post-secondary level is required.
- Develops and/or utilizes a variety of instructional strategies, techniques, and delivery methods designed to achieve the learning objectives for the course as listed in the approved course outline
- Instructs students using classroom lectures, assignments, case studies, textbook teaching materials, presentations, discussion groups and other appropriate activities
- Employs available instructor resources for a standard academic textbook in PM that has been assigned for this course
- Develop a course plan and course outline
- Fosters a safe and inclusive learning environment
- Supports intercultural learning for diverse groups of students
- Informs students about course requirements and expectations, evaluation procedures, attendance policies
- Administers and grades in-class tests, quizzes, assignments, and examinations as required
- Advises students and provides additional assistance as needed
- Maintains the necessary supplies to teach class as required
- Maintains daily student attendance records, grading records, and grades submissions
- Other duties as assigned
Reporting on Student Progress
- Keeps records of student work and correspondence (if necessary)
- Communicates with the Program Coordinator on curriculum, instructional, and classroom-management issues
- Discusses options for student success with Program Coordinator if a student is not completing required work within the course timeframe or performance expectations
Qualifications for this position:
- Relevant professional designation – PMP preferred
- Experienced PM practitioner with a knowledge of MS Project
- Post-secondary teaching experience of at least 2 years, including experience with course planning and teaching material preparation in PM
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with people from various cultural and language backgrounds
- Ability to communicate well in English, orally, and in writing
Length of Appointment: This position is a temporary position beginning on Jan 8, 2019, extending through to Feb 26, 2019, with possible continuation during 2019 and onwards.
Application Information: Please quote competition # CS19-18 and the subject area of interest and submit your cover letter and résumé to the attention of the Program Coordinator.
Closing Date: November 6, 2018
Competition No.: CS19-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those short listed will be contacted. We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.