Instructors, Langara English for Academic Purposes (LEAP) Program
Contract, .825 FTE
Start Date: October 23, 3017
Subject Area: English as a Second Language, LEAP Program, Continuing Studies
The LEAP Program at Langara College is accepting applications for sessional instructors for 2017. Sessions begin every 8 weeks with the upcoming session starting on April 24. Contract renewal is subject to student enrolment and instructor performance during a one-year probationary period.Teaching contracts are 12 contact hours a week (.825 FTE) and remuneration starts at $7500 per 8-week session.
LEAP is a full-time intensive English language and academic skills program. The Program offers 9 levels of instruction, from LEAP Basics to LEAP 8. At the lower levels, students develop their English language skills through a variety of themes and projects while expanding their knowledge of Vancouver, Canada and the world.At the higher levels, students develop their English and academic skills in preparation for full-time study at college and university.
LEAP follows an integrated skills, task-based approach to language learning.Team-teaching is an integral part of the program. Please visit the Program website at www.langara.bc.ca/leap for more information.
Instructors are responsible for delivering the course as described in the Program curriculum.This includes planning lessons and assignments that fulfill the course objectives, coordinating with team-teacher(s), and giving on-going and final student assessment and evaluation.Instructors are also required to participate in staff meetings, and assist with placement testing.
Education & Experience
- A Masters Degree with a specialization in TESL (or related field). A Bachelors Degree in TESL or a Bachelors Degree and a TESL Canada accredited certificate.
- Minimum 4 years teaching experience (3200 contact hours) in ESL / EFL at the adult level, with a minimum of 2 years in academic preparation and/or at beginner levels
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience developing materials for an integrated skills curriculum
- Minimum intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Application Information: To apply, send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and quote competition CS003-17 in the subject line of your e-mail.Please note that applicants must be available for an interview in Vancouver.
Closing Date: September 8, 2017
Competition No.: CS003-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those applicants shortlisted for Stage 1 will be contacted.Stage 1 of the selection process includes completing a pedagogical questionnaire and submitting a lesson plan with materials.Successful Stage 1 applicants will move on to Stage 2, an interview with pedagogical tasks.We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce