Subject Area: Health, Safety, and Environmental Compliance
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Duration: September to December, 2019, continuing
Description of Position:
Langara Continuing Studies is seeking qualified instructors to teach one or more courses in the Health, Safety, and Environmental Compliance Post Degree Diploma program. Health, Safety, and Environmental Compliance is a growing field and this program will assist graduates in finding employment as subject matter experts in a broad range of industries.
Applicants are welcome to apply for one or more of the following subject areas: Industrial Processes Level 1 and 2; Occupational Health and Safety – Level 1 and 2; Public Sector Report Writing.
- Develops and/or utilizes a variety of instructional strategies, techniques and delivery methods designed to meet the individual learning styles of students
- Responsible for developing all curriculum and course materials such as exams, quizzes, assignments, handouts, etc
- Instructs students using lectures, demonstrations, case studies, primary materials, discussion groups, and seminars
- Fosters a safe and inclusive learning environment
- Supports intercultural learning for diverse groups of students including International students
- Informs students about course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance policies
- Administers and grades class tests, assignments and examinations as required
- Advises students regarding their academic needs and refers them for additional assistance as needed
- Maintains the necessary supplies to teach class as required
- Maintains daily student records
- Other duties as assigned
Reporting on Student Progress
- Keeps records of student work and correspondence (if necessary), and maintains and reports student participation, evaluations/grades as appropriate
- Communication with Program Coordinator on curriculum, instructional and classroom management issues
- Discusses options for student success with Program Coordinator if a student is not completing modules within time frame or performance expectations.
- Provides Program Coordinator with student marked final exams and assignments in a timely manner
- Ensures students who are struggling, absent, or have issues that affect their successful progress are supported, and refers students on a pro-active basis to the Program Coordinator
Qualifications for this position:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Ability to create appropriate course content, develop exams, assignments, handouts and all relevant teaching materials, choose appropriate texts, etc.
- Recent industry experience of three years or more in a Health and Safety professional capacity
- Training, skills-development and/or facilitation experience
- Demonstrate a high level of ability in promoting student learning that is in line with a comprehensive, prepared curriculum
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with people from various cultural and language backgrounds is preferred
- Ability to communicate well in English, orally and in writing is required.
- Exceptions may occur if professional and training experience is extensive
- Clear understanding and knowledge of the laws regarding handling of evidence, recording findings, use of photography in assisting with recording findings
Desirable Qualifications for this position:
- Post-secondary teaching experience in an academic setting
- Understanding of the principals of Adult Education in a post-secondary environment
- Familiar with working with International students
- High degree of comfort in working with diverse range of professional back grounds and abilities
- Experience in facilitation or training in the Occupational Health and Safety field , is preferred
Prospective instructors must be available to teach afternoons, evenings, and Saturdays for the program. Classes will be scheduled on a weekly basis for up to 60 hours per term. All classes will be held at the Main Campus, 100 W. 49th Avenue,
Length of Appointment: These contracts will be temporary for the duration of the course. Courses will run once per term and may be renewed for following terms
Application Information: Please quote competition CS10-19 and the subject area of interest and submit your cover letter and résumé to the attention of Eleanor J. Clarke, Program Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: July 21, 2019
Competition No.: CS10-19
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those short listed will be contacted. We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.