Subject Area: Health, Safety, and Environmental Compliance
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Duration: Januray to April, 2019, continuing
Description of Position:
Langara Continuing Studies is seeking an instructor to teach Contaminated Work Sites for the new, two-year, full-time Health, Safety, and Envorinmental Diploma program.
Health, Safety, and Environmental Compliance is a growing field and this program will assist graduates in finding employment as subject matter experts in a broad range of industries. This program will appeal to both domestic and foreign students with an interest in Health and Safety, Occupational Safety, legal processes, policy making, and who are interested in worker and employer safety programs.
Prospective instructors must be available to teach afternoons, evenings, and Saturdays for the program. Classes will be scheduled on a weekly basis for 45 hours per term. All classes will be held at Langara College, Main Campus, located at 100 W. 49th Ave.
Instructors will deliver classroom instruction to adult students, both domestic and international, who have completed undergraduate degrees.
- Develops and/or utilizes a variety of instructional strategies, techniques and delivery methods designed to meet the individual learning styles of students
- Responsible for developing all curriculum and course materials such as exams, quizzes, assignments, handouts, etc
- Instructs students using lectures, demonstrations, case studies, primary materials, discussion groups, and seminars
- Fosters a safe and inclusive learning environment
- Supports intercultural learning for diverse groups of students including International students
- Informs students about course requirements, evaluation procedures, attendance policies
- Administers and grades class tests, assignments and examinations as required
- Advises students regarding their academic needs and refers them for additional assistance as needed
- Maintains the necessary supplies to teach class as required
- Maintains daily student records
- Other duties as assigned
Reporting on Student Progress
- Keeps records of student work and correspondence (if necessary), and maintains and reports student participation, evaluations/grades as appropriate
- Communication with Program Coordinator on curriculum, instructional and classroom management issues
- Discusses options for student success with Program Coordinator if a student is not completing modules within time frame or performance expectations.
- Provides Program Coordinator with student marked final exams and assignments in a timely manner
- Ensures students who are struggling, absent, or have issues that affect their successful progress are supported, and refers students on a pro-active basis to the Program Coordinator
Qualifications for this position:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Ability to create appropriate course content, develop exams, assignments, handouts and all relevant teaching materials, choose appropriate texts, etc.
- Recent industry experience of three years or more in a Health and Safety professional capacity
- Training, skills-development and/or facilitation experience
- Demonstrate a high level of ability in promoting student learning that is in line with a comprehensive, prepared curriculum
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with people from various cultural and language backgrounds is preferred
- Ability to communicate well in English, orally and in writing is required.
- Exceptions may occur if professional and training experience is extensive
- Clear understanding and knowledge of the laws regarding handling of evidence, recording findings, use of photography in assisting with recording findings
Desirable Qualifications for this position:
- Post-secondary teaching experience in an academic setting
- Experience training individuals or groups in health and safety programs
- Understanding of Adult Education
- Familiar with working with International students
- High degree of comfort in working with diverse range of professional back grounds and abilities
- Experience in facilitation or training in the Occupational Health and Safety field , is preferred
Length of Appointment: These contract will be temporary for the duration of the course. Courses will run once per term and may be renewed for following terms
Application Information: Please quote competition # CS18-18 and the subject area of interest and submit your cover letter and résumé to the attention of Eleanor J. Clarke, Program Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: October 31, 2018
Competition No.: CS18-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those short listed will be contacted. We are committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.