Start Date: June 1, 2017
The Registrar, as a member of the Dean of Student Services administrative team, provides leadership in the development and delivery of effective and efficient enrolment services to students. The position directs, administers, and supports the Registrar and Enrolment Services functions, for both Regular and Continuing Studies, through proactive, consultative and effective collaboration with the student services team, faculty, staff, and other administrators. The position is accountable for strategic planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of College policies, procedures and practices relevant to: admission and registration processes; design, implementation and maintenance of student information systems; academic record privacy, protection, and retention; documentation of student progression; release of student information; documentation and implementation of class schedules; curriculum management; financial aid and awards; and the determination of eligibility for graduation. The position manages the human resources and department budget, and represents the College in reporting to the Ministry and liaising with other post-secondary institutions, provincial agencies, and external organizations. This position ensures that information is communicated both internally and externally as required.
Education & Experience:
- Graduate degree in post-secondary administration, business management or a related field.
- Eight years of experience in a Registrar’s Office including five years of senior management experience in various aspects of a Registrar’s Office in a public post-secondary, unionized environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Working knowledge of the processes and systems related to admissions, applications, registration, financial aid, scheduling, graduation, and records including experience working with a student information system (e.g. Banner or another large integrated management information system).
- Experience in developing and implementing new technology-based systems.
- Experience in developing strong and effective work teams.
- Experience as a collaborative leader supporting the needs of a variety of diverse groups within a university or college setting.
- Demonstrated experience leading and implementing change including developing new strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of the BC post-secondary system including the rules, regulations, procedures and policies as related to Registrar and student services is preferred.
- Experience in project management.
- Collegiality – values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility and respect
- Problem solving and decision making – considers a wide range of information and perspectives to solve problems and make reasoned decisions; demonstrates a comfort with uncertainty and ambiguous conditions
- Organizational awareness – understands and appreciates an organization’s internal culture and operating practices as well as the political and business climate in which the organization operates
- Innovation – welcomes, generates, and implements new ideas and solutions that help to achieve and organization’s strategic goals
- Student Focus – making decisions with the students in mind, focusing on providing the best possible experience for the student.
- Integrity – acts with openness, honesty and respect to build and maintain an environment of trust
- Professional maturity – demonstrates courage to take on issues and make tough decisions while managing self with aplomb and emotional maturity
- Tenacity, resilience and patience – believes that own actions and efforts will overcome obstacles, make progress and attain successful results
- Business awareness – considers and understands the financial, operational and human perspective and the impact of decisions
- Visioning and Strategic Thinking - energizes people around the vision and keeps the bigger picture in mind
- Team Leadership – creates team spirit and helps to direct individuals toward achievement of team and organizational goals. Inspires others to do their best, develop professionally and contribute to the success of the leadership team
- Relationship management – builds and maintains a crucial network of contacts both internally and externally.
- Communication – uses the power of personal interaction and language to effectively influence, inspire and lead others
- Achieves results – goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through consultative and collaborate methods.
Skills & Abilities
- Effective interpersonal, team and community building skills.
- Ability to lead, motivate, and manage staff.
- Effective conflict resolution, negotiation, problem-solving, and mediation skills.
- Proven ability to exercise judgement, tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to develop, interpret and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Ability to make effective discretionary decisions in a high pressure, high volume environment with changing and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally and in writing) and work effectively and collaboratively with students, administrators, staff, faculty, Ministry representatives, other post-secondary institutions, external agencies, and the general public.
- Strong computer skills, including word processing, experience working with a large integrated student records database (preferably Banner) and proficiency in using spreadsheets and database software.
Salary Range: $3,171.93 - $4,042.23 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade S)
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Closing Date: April 17, 2017
Competition No.: A016-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.