Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: November 1, 2019
Under the general guidance of the Director, Facilities, this position administers various College programs to ensure a safe and secure learning and work environment for students, employees, and visitors at the College. This position manages the following College programs: campus security, emergency planning, and occupational health and safety. The Manager ensures compliance with applicable legislated requirements and College policies and procedures.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Public Safety Administration, Bachelor of Emergency and Security Management Studies, Diploma in Emergency & Security Management or related Bachelor’s degree OR four years of cumulative specialized training and education in emergency management, public safety and business administration. Preference given to candidates with a diverse combination of formal education/specialized training in areas of public safety and emergency management.
- Over six (6) years of progressively senior roles in public safety, security management, emergency planning, and occupational health & safety. Preference given to candidates with expertise in public safety and emergency management.
- Knowledge of risk management principles, practices, and regulations.
- Experience with security, fire protection, occupational health and safety, WorkSafe B.C. regulations and loss prevention.
- Experience with emergency planning, preferably in a post-secondary institution.
- Experience in conducting security investigations, gathering and documenting evidence.
- Knowledge of current legislation and public policy at the Federal and Provincial level with regard to FOIPOP, PIPEDA and PIPA.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must successfully pass a criminal records check.
Skills & Abilities
- Communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Interpret and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Meet deadlines, prioritize, and work under pressure.
- Exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Foster a cooperative work environment.
- Manage, supervise and train employees, including organizing and assigning work.
- Supervise contractors.
- Use tact and discretion to deal with or settle complex requests or complaints.
- A proactive, well-organized, energetic team player.
- Establish and maintain effective and harmonious relationships at all levels, both within and outside the organization including students and employees.
- Respond and manage potentially violent, dangerous, hazardous, or emergency situations.
- Conduct thorough investigations regarding security issues.
- Deal with complainants involving safety and security concerns which requires sensitivity and confidentiality.
- Conduct worksite inspections and/or identify hazards and recommend or implement corrective safety measures.
- Maintain current knowledge in new or existing standards, regulations and laws relevant to occupational health & safety.
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of computer applications including: word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel), Lenel (access control), database management (MS Access), e-mail, and Internet navigation.
- Remains on call during off work hours on a 24-hour basis for physical, safety, and security emergencies.
Salary Range: $72,044 - $96,058* - $105,664 Annualized (Pay Grade 10).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A042-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on September 6, 2019
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.