Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume, cover, and Supplemental Information Request) will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible
The Manager, Purchasing is responsible for managing the College’s purchasing function by procuring a diverse range of goods and services. In consultation with the Associate Director, this position develops, implements, and evaluates the procurement framework to optimize purchasing processes within the College and to comply with Public Procurement law, trade agreements and Government of BC Capital Asset Management Framework. The Manager, Purchasing is responsible for managing human resources within the purchasing unit and provides assistance to the Associate Director in developing the operating budget. Position performs related duties and leads or participates in ad hoc projects as required.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- SCMP or equivalent designation.
- Bachelor’s degree in commerce, business administration, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years of management experience in purchasing, preferably at a post-secondary institution or a comparable public sector organization.
- Supervisory experience required, preferably in a complex unionized environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Extensive experience in major purchasing projects and initiatives.
- Expertise in all aspects of public tendering (e.g. BC Bid), procurement law and the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Knowledge of budgetary processes, including the development and administration of operating fiscal management models.
- Knowledge of supply-chain management.
- Extensive experience using a computerized procurement related systems (Ellucian Banner, Workday, Bonfire, BCBid, Merx)
- Proficient use of computer applications including word processing (i.e. Word), spreadsheet (i.e. Excel), database management (i.e. Access), email, and internet.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, including the ability to write contracts on behalf of the College.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, interpretation, and negotiating skills required to develop contracts and evaluate vendors.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and resourcefulness.
- Proven management, leadership and administrative skills.
- Ability to prepare EOIs, RFQs, RFPs, and Tenders.
- Ability to interpret and apply various laws and governmental regulations as they relate to the purchasing function.
- Ability to exercise considerable independence of action and judgement in all aspects of purchasing and a high degree of accountability.
- Ability to make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Ability to maintain standard of absolute confidentiality regarding information and records.
- Ability to provide customer service effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to supervise, plan, schedule, and evaluate the work of employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all College personnel and the external community.
Salary Range: $69,440 - $92,586* - $101,845 Annualize (Pay Grade 10)
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A017-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on April 23, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Additional Information Required: Please click here to download the Supplemental Information Request (SIR) and submit the completed form with your application. Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.