Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: August 6, 2018
The Manager, Public Affairs (MPA) leads Langara College’s media relations, issues management, and community engagement efforts, and supports the Director, C&M and senior leadership team with government relations. Under the leadership of the Director, this position is responsible for implementing policies, standards, and procedures and ensuring quality control. The Manager is an integral part of C&M’s leadership team.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, Marketing, or a related discipline. Masters preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years direct related experience in an integrated communications and marketing environment including client services/issues management, in a managerial, supervisory, or leadership role. Experience in journalism or communications roles within government or higher education an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Advanced knowledge of communications and public relations principles, strategies, techniques, and concepts.
- Experience with media database and monitoring tools (Meltwater), web content management systems, and social media platforms.
- Experience managing a team, including supervising, recruitment, selection, training, performance management, and discipline of staff. Previous experience managing in a unionized environment, an asset.
- Proven record of successfully managing projects to completion and coaching others.
- Knowledge of project management principals, best practises and industry standards.
- Intermediate knowledge in the use of office applications such as MS Office Suite.
- Collegiality – values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility, and respect.
- Problem-solving and decision making – considers a wide range of information and perspectives to solve problems and make reasoned decisions; demonstrates a comfort with uncertainty and ambiguous conditions.
- Organizational awareness – understands and appreciates an organization’s internal culture and operating practices as well as the political and business climate in which the organization operates.
- Innovation – welcomes, generates, and implements new ideas and solutions that help to achieve the organization’s strategic goals.
- Student Focus – making decisions with the students in mind, focusing on providing the best possible experience for the student.
- Integrity – acts with openness, honesty and respect to build and maintain an environment of trust.
- Professional maturity – demonstrates courage to take on issues and make tough decisions while managing self with emotional maturity.
- Tenacity, resilience, and patience – believes that own actions and efforts will overcome obstacles, make progress and attain successful results.
- Business awareness – considers and understands the financial, operational, and human perspective and impact of decisions.
- Visioning and strategic thinking – energizes people around the vision and keeps the bigger picture in mind.
- Team leadership – creates team spirit and helps to direct individuals toward achievement of team and organizational goals. Inspires others to do their best, develop professionally and contribute to the success of the leadership team.
- Relationship management – builds and maintains a crucial network of contacts both internally and externally.
- Communication – uses the power of personal interaction and language to effectively influence, inspire and lead others.
- Achieves results – goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through consultative and collaborative methods.
Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced written and oral communications skills, including public speaking.
- Knowledge of processes, principles, theories and practices of politics and government administration.
- Excellent understanding of political processes and sensitivities, and issues management with a demonstrated track record of positive relationships with media, politicians, senior staff, community leaders, decision makers, and stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with demonstrated judgement and decision-making, problem solving, and strategy development, with knowledge of data-driven communication principles and practices.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity in working with the Board, senior leadership team, media, community partners, and government officials.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and to work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with internal/external clients and colleagues, in a respectful and consultative manner.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Works well under pressure and takes pride in meeting deadlines and exceeding expectations.
- Ability to optimize the most cost effective utilization of resources across competing projects.
- Ability to manage, track, and make good business decisions about project priorities, progress and results.
- Ability to plan, schedule, direct, evaluate and supervise employees.
- Ability to motivate, coach, mentor, train and lead employees in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to provide accurate budget estimates and monitor the budget.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Enthusiastically stays current on best practices in public relations, communications, government relations, and related technologies and tools, and identifies opportunities to leverage them in support of the organization’s goals.
Salary Range: $63,391 - $84,521*- $92,973 Annualized (Pay Grade 9)
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A023-18
Closing Date: June 22, 2018
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.