Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Manager, Payroll Services leads the preparation and execution of Langara’s payroll services function in accordance with the mission, values, goals, and policies of Langara and in compliance with all applicable regulations. This position is the payroll subject matter expert and representative to the College community and to external stakeholders.
Education & Experience
- Two years related diploma plus completion of the Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certification OR completion of Level 4 in a CGA or CMA accounting program.
- Five (5) years of recent progressively responsible payroll management experience in a complex, high volume, unionized environment, preferably in the public sector.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Proven leadership and supervisory abilities including performance management and staff development experience.
- Experience with the design, development, management and maintenance of integrated payroll systems, data collection and reports in an ERP environment.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Access.
- Comprehensive knowledge of statutory and other regulations governing payrolls, benefits, accounting and fiscal procedures.
- Thorough understanding of inter-dependence between Human Resources and Payroll, is an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Interpret and apply College, government, and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines and collective agreements.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all College personnel and the external community.
- Supervise and train employees, including organizing, prioritizing and assigning work.
- Effective time management skills to handle dynamic and frequently changing priorities.
- Meet changing priorities and tight deadlines while making responsible and non-routine decisions.
- Effective problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Capable of dealing with sensitive and/or specialized issues requiring tact and diplomacy to arrive at a satisfactory resolution.
- Develop, recommend and implement new strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Strong computer skills and the ability to learn new applications, methods, and techniques.
Salary Range: $68,145 - $90,860 annually
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Closing Date: Open until filled
Competition No.: A004-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.