Permanent, Full Time
Start date: July 3, 2018
Reporting to the Associate Director, International Student Services (ISS), the Manager, ISS is a member of the International Education (IE) team. Working collaboratively with the ISS team and different units within IE, the Manager, ISS provides leadership in the delivery of pre-arrival supports and on-going initiatives for international students to facilitate success and retention. In addition, the Manager, ISS oversees the day-to-day operation of the IE front office services. When required, the Manager serves as acting Associate Director, ISS to represent the ISS team at various functions. Additional responsibilities may include designing & developing student engagement and support services.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary degree in appropriate discipline such as Social Service, Social Science, Humanities or International Education, or equivalent experience. Masters Degree preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years of recent experience in International Education including supervisory experience and including direct experience in the design and implementation of international education student services, student engagement and retention programs.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
- In-depth knowledge of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada rules, regulations, procedures and program as they relate to international students. RISIA certification an asset.
- Sound knowledge of issues facing international students and various intercultural theories and practices as it pertains to international students.
- Knowledge of world geography, history, politics and current affairs.
- Knowledge of the British Columbia post-secondary education system.
- Knowledge of a post-secondary institution’s organizational structure and relationships among International Education, student support services (IE and for all students), academic departments, and continuing studies.
- Knowledge about different cultural communities, and the issues they face in becoming part of the larger community.
- Experience with issues related to cultural integration and intercultural communication.
- Considerable sensitivity to and experience in cross-cultural settings in various environments and with different cultural client groups.
Skills & Abilities
- Superior ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with students, staff, faculty, government, other college/universities, external agencies, and the general public.
- Demonstrated commitment to a student-centered service model.
- Good organization, program research and design skills to achieve strategic objectives.
- Highly developed administrative, leadership and management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to establish good working relationships with other administrative personnel, faculty, staff, students, and the public.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, interests, and abilities.
- Exceptional ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Excellent intercultural communication skills.
- Ability to use tact and discretion to deal with or settle complex requests or complaints.
- Ability to interpret and apply College, government, and department policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility.
Salary Range: $63,391 - $84,521*- $92,973 Annualized (Pay Grade 9)
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires PSEC approval.
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A019-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on May 28, 2018
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.