Temporary, Full Time
Dates: November 1, 2017 to October 31, 2018, with the possibility of extension
The Manager, Financial Services is responsible for the preparation, processing and maintenance of accounting records and financial transactions of the College and the Langara College Foundation, and the integrity and propriety of all financial records. This position is responsible for the review and reconciliation of all accounting records, including but not limited to capital, lease, ancillary, research and trust accounting, monitoring and accounting for all contracts, and the control and reconciliation of all transactions affecting cash and investments. This position is responsible for the management of general accounting, accounts payable, and accounts receivable functions and staff.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, economics, finance, or accounting.
- CPA professional accounting designation and membership in good standing with CPA-BC.
- Minimally six (6) years of recent relevant experience in a mid-level financial or accounting position in areas of accounting and financial reporting, preferably in a public sector entity. Supervisory experience required, preferably in a unionized environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge of financial accounting and management, control and reporting procedures, practices and policies.
- Knowledge of performance management, internal control systems and procedures and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Intermediate knowledge of enterprise computerized information systems used in financial and accounting applications.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency of spreadsheet (i.e., Excel) and relational database (i.e., Access or Discoverer) software to compile, quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, and/or projections.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong organizational and prioritizing skills and the ability to work well and make decisions under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Design, implement and evaluate complex financial data, reporting methods and procedures.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all College personnel and the external community.
- Supervise and train employees, including organizing and assigning work.
- Effective time management skills to handle dynamic and frequently changing priorities.
- Effective problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Develop, recommend and administer sound financial strategies for a public entity.
Salary Range: $ 2,712.35 - $3,520.50 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade P)
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Closing Date: October 8, 2017
Competition No.: A045-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.