Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume, cover, and Supplemental Information Request) will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: February 1, 2019 – January 31, 2021
The Manager, Budget Analysis and Planning, leads the preparation of the budget and updates budget projections reflecting actual performance and analysis. This position is responsible for the development, implementation and review of College budgets and forecasts; the preparation of internal and external budget and forecast reports; the preparation of internal and external FTE enrolment reports.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Professional accounting designation such as CA, CMA or CGA and membership in good standing with the relevant BC institute.
- Minimum of five (5) years relevant experience in a mid-level financial or accounting position in areas of budgeting, financial reporting, and analysis. Supervisory experience required, preferably in a medium to large public sector entity.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of budget development, financial accounting, forecasting, financial management, control and reporting procedures, practices and policies.
- Knowledge of planning, performance management, internal control systems and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Intermediate knowledge of enterprise computerized information systems used in financial and accounting applications (e.g., Banner, SAP, JD Edwards).
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet (i.e., Excel) and relational database (i.e., Access/Discoverer) software in order to compile, quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, and/or projections.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong organizational and prioritizing skills and the ability to work well and make decisions under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Able to design, implement and evaluate complex financial data, reporting methods and procedures.
- Able to collect and disseminate financial data to prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all College personnel and the external community.
- Able to supervise and train employees, including organizing and assigning work.
- Effective time management skills to handle dynamic and frequently changing priorities.
- Effective problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Able to be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Able to help develop, recommend and administer sound financial strategies for a public entity.
- Liaises with budget officers and provides financial advice to manage their operating and capital budgets effectively.
- Advises the Associate Director, Budgets and Payroll (“the Associate Director”) on budget and enrolment matters.
- Develops and maintains a budget system and associated records in accordance with accepted accounting practices.
- Develops, implements, and maintains systems to report, monitor, analyze and reconcile faculty workloads, including reconciling workload to payroll records.
- Develops, implements, and maintains standard costing systems for faculty workloads.
- Coordinates, processes, communicates and creates detailed supporting documents for budget amendments.
- Determines financial implications of budget development and compliance.
- Makes recommendations for corrections or budget transfers.
Salary Range: $74,648 - $99,530* - $109,483 Annualized (Pay Grade 11).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 9:00am – 5:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A001-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on January 28, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.