Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume and cover) will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible
The Human Resources Consultant (HRC) reports to the Director, HR Operations and is accountable for providing leadership, advice, and guidance across a full range of HR services to operational partners including management staff and line employees for an assigned portfolio of departments and program areas. The HRC is the primary point of contact for operational partners within the assigned portfolio and consults on a wide variety of issues including employee and labour relations, performance management, recruitment and selection, disability management, classification and compensation and organizational development. This position works closely with the HR team to provide coordinated advisory services to College management and staff. The HRC ensures appropriate and consistent application of relevant legislation, collective agreements, terms and conditions of employment, College policies and procedures. As a strategic partner, the HRC contributes to the strategic priorities and values of the College by promoting and fostering a collaborative and proactive employee relations/labour relations approach, championing change management and implementation of work processes that enable client groups to achieve their goals and outcomes. The HRC also participates on leadership teams, special assignments, projects and initiatives.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in human resources management, business, or a related field of study.
- Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation or relevant professional designation in human resources, a desirable asset.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressively responsible HR generalist experience with emphasis in labour and employee relations, performance management and conflict resolution, recruitment, disability management, job evaluation and benefits administration. Preference for HR experience in a public sector or large, complex multi-union organization.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Considerable experience advising leaders and working with collective agreements in a large, complex multi-union organization.
- Excellent knowledge of employment and labour legislation and government policies (e.g., Employment Standards, Labour Relations Code, Employment Equity, Human Rights Code).
- Intermediate to Advanced working level with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio).
- Experience working in a highly automated HR environment with integrated enterprise HR and payroll information system, such as Workday, Banner, or Peoplesoft.
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated consultation, facilitation and relationship building skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information, and deal tactfully and diplomatically with employees from all levels of the College. Comprehension of the importance of the balance of confidentiality and disclosure necessary for effective communications and requirements of collective agreements
- An accomplished communicator, interviewer and active listener with a demonstrated ability to negotiate and influence within a collaborative framework.
- Excellent problem solving, analytical reasoning skills and judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively with considerable independence.
- Demonstrated ability to participate as a team member, contributing to the development and enhancement of the team.
- Strong presentations skills in order to conduct training sessions and informational seminars as required.
- High energy, goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through consultative and collaborative methods.
- Customer service focussed and have demonstrated ability to achieve continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and engage others to ensure success in the workplace.
- Commitment to the value of continuous learning and an open curiosity for new ideas and innovation.
Salary Range: $60,088 - $80,118* - $88,130 Annualized (Pay Grade 08).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A020-19
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.