Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume, cover, and Supplemental Information Request) will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Start date: August 1, 2019
Reporting to the Associate Director, International Programs (IP), the Homestay Coordinator (HC) is responsible for the day-to-day administration and operation of the Homestay Program, including host family recruitment and student placement, homestay orientation, and support initiatives. Acting as the intermediary, this position provides information, counselling, cultural adaptation, conflict resolution and crisis management support to students and hosts. The HC contributes to the development, implementation, organization, coordination, promotion and evaluation of the homestay component of the international student programs offered by Langara College and other external organizations such as the Vancouver and Burnaby School Districts. The HC liaises with staff at partner institutions, agents, parents, College staff, community contacts, and others regarding homestay matters and supports the students’ adjustment to Canada through the development and delivery of various programs and workshops.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Two-year diploma or bachelor’s degree, with preference for a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline such as International Education, Intercultural Communication, Social Services, or Humanities.
- Minimum two (2) years of recent related experience in homestay or a cross-cultural educational setting with experience in the design, planning and delivery of support services/programs to students, preferably international students.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Cross-cultural experience and sensitivity and the ability to work with individuals within a multi-cultural context.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge in the use of computer applications including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (Excel), e-mail, and Internet navigation.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills in English, including cross-cultural communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve complex and sensitive issues.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, work independently and multi-task.
- Ability to work as a team player in a changing and growing post-secondary environment.
- Ability to establish good working relationships with other students, host families, external partners and the public.
- Ability to interpret and apply College, government, and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated commitment to student-centered service model.
- Ability to make sound decisions by exercising judgment, diplomacy, tact and discretion in a high pressure, high volume environment with changing and conflicting priorities.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to present materials and deliver information sessions.
- Ability to exercise high degree of confidentiality.
- Ability to establish good working relationships with other administrative personnel, colleagues with partner programs, staff, students, agents, hosts and the public.
- Hours are based on 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.However, flexibility to work evenings and weekends is required to conduct host interviews, assist with student arrivals/departures, moves, provide emergency support, attend orientation sessions and participate in other homestay activities/events.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle on a daily basis.
- There are peak periods during which vacation requests may not be granted.
Salary Range: $46,210 - $61,614* - $64,695 Annualized (Pay Grade 4).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 9:00am - 5:00pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A035-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on June 25, 2019
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Additional Information Required: Please click here to download the Supplemental Information Request (SIR) and submit the completed form with your application. Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.