Temporary, Full Time (3 year term)
Dates: February 19, 2018 to February 19, 2021
The role of the Project Manager is to plan, execute, document, and finalize projects according to strict deadlines and within budget. This includes allocating resources and coordinating the efforts of team members, other departments’ resources, and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. The Project Manager will also define the project’s objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle.
Education & Experience
- University degree in computing science, engineering, or related technology field.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification strongly preferred.
- Eight (8) years of work experience as a Project Manager, leading projects in software development environments, including:
- 5+ years experience with project management software, such as Microsoft Project or similar tools
- 5+ years experience with spreadsheet tools such as Microsoft Excel and with diagram and flowcharting software such as Microsoft Visio.
- Experience implementing ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) solutions, ideally in a cloud-based environment.
- Experience implementing COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf Software) packages.
- Productivity tools such as Confluence, Jira, SVN, SharePoint, Visio, BPM tools.
- Demonstrated experience with agile and iterative software development methodologies.
- Experience with all aspects of process development and execution.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) in both highly technical and non-technical environments with all levels of the organization.
- Effective presentation communication skills required; ability to clearly explain concepts to diverse audiences.
- Ability to direct complex technology projects, including developing proposals, setting budgets, project planning and implementation.
- Ability to effectively lead and direct the work of others in a collegial setting.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with management, faculty, employees, students, facilities and security staff, vendors, other institutions, external agencies and/or the general public.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships and to provide excellent customer service to all clients.
- Ability to develop, plan, execute and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to effectively meet deadlines and organizational requirements.
- Ability to learn and understand broad knowledge of current and new technologies and practices in information systems.
- Ability to interpret and comply with policies, procedures and regulations.
- Persuasive, encouraging, and motivating.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including executive management, clients, and other departments.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
- Can conform and proactively adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving approach.
- Ability to diffuse tension among project teams and other stakeholders.
- Ability to bring project to successful completion through political sensitivity.
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products.
- Strong Customer Service and Quality Assurance mindset.
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Some travel may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders, or off-site personnel/management.
Salary Range: $3,020.11 - $3,919.95 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade R)
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Closing Date: January 28, 2018
Competition No.: A001-18
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.