Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reporting to the Vice-President, People Services, the Director, HR Systems, Services and Payroll has managerial responsibility over the areas of Human Resources and Payroll Services. The Director will lead in the integration of HR and Payroll Services, with a focus on managerial components of Human Resources Information System (HRIS) administration, employee benefits and pensions, advisory and general HR operations. The Director will also be the key contact in People Services with respect to the implementation and maintenance of a new ERP system. As a senior member of the management team, the incumbent provides support and guidance on strategic initiatives undertaken by the department, and develops a culture that is client-focused, service-oriented and ensures best value.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a Graduate’s degree in a related field such as human resources, industrial relations, or finance.
- Minimum eight (8) years of senior level human resources experience including several years as a payroll or benefits practitioner in a managerial capacity, preferably in a public institution.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Certified Payroll Manager, an asset.
- Certified Human Resources Practitioner (CPHR) designation, an asset.
- Experience administering human resources and payroll services in a multi-union environment.
- Knowledge in the principles of contract interpretation and labour, employment, human rights and related legislation and jurisprudence.
- Collegiality – values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility and respect.
- Problem solving and decision making – considers a wide range of information and perspectives to solve problems and make reasoned decisions; demonstrates a comfort with uncertainty and ambiguous conditions.
- Organizational awareness – understands and appreciates an organization’s internal culture and operating practices as well as the political and business climate in which the organization operates.
- Innovation – welcomes, generates, and implements new ideas and solutions that help to achieve and organization’s strategic goals.
- Integrity – acts with openness, honesty and respect to build and maintain an environment of trust.
- Professional maturity – demonstrates courage to take on issues and make tough decisions while managing self with aplomb and emotional maturity.
- Tenacity, resilience and patience – believes that own actions and efforts will overcome obstacles, make progress and attain successful results.
- Business awareness – considers and understand the financial, operational and human perspective and impact of decisions.
- Visioning and Strategic Thinking - energizes people around the vision and keeps the bigger picture in mind
- Team Leadership – creates team spirit and helps to direct individuals toward achievement of team and organizational goals. Inspires others to do their best, develop professionally and contribute to the success of the leadership team.
- Relationship management – builds and maintains a crucial network of contacts both internally and externally.
- Communication – uses the power of personal interaction and language to effectively influence, inspire and lead others.
- Achieves results – goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through consultative and collaborate methods.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong presentations skills in order to conduct informational sessions as required.
- Strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated through negotiation, conflict resolution and mediation.
- Ability to develop, interpret, and apply policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Must possess extensive knowledge and expertise in ERP systems, project management and business process methodologies and tools.
Salary Range: $3,171.93 - $4,117.01 Bi-Weekly, (Pay Grade S)
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: Monday to Friday between 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, however, hours will vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Closing Date: August 7, 2017
Competition No.: A036-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.