Start Date: September 1, 2018
The Associate Vice-President, Academic is a senior academic administrator providing direction to and leadership for educational and administrative activities which support the Faculties. Reporting to the Provost and Vice-President, Academic & Students, the Associate Vice-President, Academic (AVP-A) acts with the authority of the Provost and VPA to provide strategic support to the Provost in the provision of educational leadership and administration in the College. The position is responsible for leading specific College-wide academic initiatives and provides support to initiatives aimed at achieving the strategic objectives of the institution. This position works closely with the Provost and Vice-President, Academic and Students, the Academic Deans, the Dean of Student Services, the Director of Academic Innovation and the Director of Indigenous Education and Services and other members of the College’s Leadership team on key strategic initiatives. The Associate Vice-President assumes the role of Acting Provost in the absence of the Provost.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in addition to at least fifteen (15 years) of working experience including seven to ten years employment with increasing responsibilities in post-secondary education as an academic administrator. Previous teaching experience is essential.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Background in, and understanding of, the processes in an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) procurement and implementation exercise.
- Appreciation for the complexity of post-secondary education.
- Experience in strategic and academic planning.
- Experience in the development and implementation of operational plans.
- Proven track record of curriculum development, including applied baccalaureate degrees and post-degree credentials.
- Understanding of the principles and practices of program review and renewal.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic enrolment management.
- Demonstrated interest in management of and/or participation in scholarship and applied research and social innovation.
- Considerable knowledge of and experience with budgetary processes, including the development and administration of budgets.
- Working knowledge of and experience with the administration of collective agreements.
- Experience in international education.
- Experience in alternative modes of teaching and learning.
- Collegiality – values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility and respect
- Problem solving and decision making – considers a wide range of information and perspectives to solve problems and make reasoned decisions; demonstrates a comfort with uncertainty and ambiguous conditions
- Organizational awareness – understands and appreciates an organization’s internal culture and operating practices as well as the political and business climate in which the organization operates
- Innovation – welcomes, generates, and implements new ideas and solutions that help to achieve and organization’s strategic goals
- Student Focus – making decisions with the students in mind, focusing on providing the best possible experience for the student.
- Integrity – acts with openness, honesty and respect to build and maintain an environment of trust
- Professional maturity – demonstrates courage to take on issues and make tough decisions while managing self with aplomb and emotional maturity
- Tenacity, resilience and patience – believes that own actions and efforts will overcome obstacles, make progress and attain successful results
- Business awareness – considers and understands the financial, operational and human perspective and the impact of decisions
- Visioning and Strategic Thinking - energizes people around the vision and keeps the bigger picture in mind
- Team Leadership – creates team spirit and helps to direct individuals toward achievement of team and organizational goals. Inspires others to do their best, develop professionally and contribute to the success of the leadership team
- Relationship management – builds and maintains a crucial network of contacts both internally and externally.
- Communication – uses the power of personal interaction and language to effectively influence, inspire and lead others
- Achieves results – goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through consultative and collaborate methods.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including communication (written and oral), negotiation, mediation, and conflict resolution skills.
- An ability to express views, ideas, and facts effectively both orally and in writing.
- A commitment to collaborative and consultative processes.
- A demonstrated ability to deal with individuals at all levels within a post-secondary institution.
- A demonstrated ability to deal with executive officers, government officials, agency representatives and colleagues from other colleges and universities.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize administrative and instructional applications of information technology.
- Demonstrates a commitment to a data-driven approach to decision making.
Proficiency in the use of computer applications including: word processing (MS Word), spreadsheets (MS Excel), email and internet browsers.
Salary Range: $117,769 - $157,025* - $180,579 Annualized (Pay Grade 17).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A028-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on June 28, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.