Start Date: As Soon As Possible
The Associate Director, Finance and Purchasing, leads the preparation of all external and internal financial reporting exclusive of budgeting and forecasting, and provides coordination of General Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Student Accounts, and Purchasing. The incumbent is responsible for monitoring and reporting on performance versus budget, the administration of College-wide financial reviews, the financial accounting of College trust funds and Langara College Foundation, the Continuing Studies division, and all cost centre expenditures. The incumbent is responsible for the College’s purchasing functions and procurement policy and framework.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, economics, finance or accounting.
- CPA professional accounting designation such and membership in good standing with CPA-BC.
- Eight (8) years relevant experience in a mid to senior level financial or accounting position in areas of budgeting and financial reporting and analysis. Management and supervisory experience required, preferably in a medium to large public sector entity.
- Comprehensive knowledge of budget development, financial accounting, forecasting, financial management, control and reporting procedures, practices and policies.
- Knowledge of planning, performance management, internal control systems and procedures and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Demonstrated track record of mid-level management and administrative experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of enterprise computerized information systems used in financial and accounting applications.
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet (i.e., Excel) and relational database (i.e., Access or Discoverer) software in order to compile, quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, and/or projections.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong organizational and prioritizing skills and the ability to work well and make decisions under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Design, implement and evaluate complex financial data, reporting methods and procedures.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all College personnel and the external community.
- Supervise and train employees, including organizing and assigning work.
- Effective time management skills to handle dynamic and frequently changing priorities.
- Effective problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Develop, recommend and administer sound financial strategies for a public entity.
Salary Range: $78, 750 - $105,000 - $115,500 Annualized (Pay Grade 12)
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Closing Date: October 5, 2018
Competition No.: A061-18
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.