Temporary, Full Time
Dates: October 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020
The Assistant Registrar, Records, Registration, and Financial Aid is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of designated registrarial units, which includes records, registration, exam scheduling and the management of all financial aid services and disbursement of awards for students. The position is responsible for assessing and initiating change to existing practices and developing new processes that will deliver effective operations and services to the College community including students, staff, faculty, and instructors. The position manages human resources for designated functional units, provides input in developing the departmental budget, and makes recommendations for policy changes in their area of responsibility. The incumbent uses professional judgement and exercises delegated authority to make discretionary decisions that are exceptions to established regulations. The incumbent is part of the management team of Registrar and Enrolment Services (RES) and, as such, works collaboratively with the Registrar, Associate Registrars, other Assistant Registrars, International Education, Continuing Studies, and Student Services leaders to coordinate and deliver effective registrarial services.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively senior level experience in a Registrar’s Office, including several years of management or supervisory experience in a post-secondary institution.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
- Experience developing and implementing new strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of the BC post-secondary system including the rules, regulations, procedures, and policies related to admissions, records, registration, advising, graduation, and financial aid.
- Proficient in the use of computer applications including experience working with student information systems (e.g. Ellucian Banner).
- Experience in implementing new technology-based systems.
- Knowledge and experience using MS Excel at an intermediate level.
- Experience managing budgets and financial reporting.
- Experience with project management.
- Experience managing and organizing events.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with students, staff, instructors, other post-secondary institutions, external agencies, and the general public.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community,
- Ability to establish good working relationships with other administrative personnel, instructors, staff, students, and the public.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed administrative, leadership and management skills.
- Ability to make sound decisions by exercising judgement, diplomacy, tact, and discretion in a high pressure, high volume environment with changing and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a co-operative work environment.
- Ability to develop, interpret, and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Salary Range: $2,484.43 - $3,312.57* - $3,643.92 Annualized (Pay Grade 9).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Competition No.: A051-19
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your required documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.