Permanent Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible
The Assistant Registrar, International Education and Continuing Studies is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of designated registrarial units, which include international student admissions and advising and Continuing Studies registration, information services, and graduation services. The position is responsible for assessing and initiating change to existing services and developing new processes that will deliver effective operations and services to the College community including students, staff, faculty, and instructors. The position manages human resources for designated functional units, provides input in developing the departmental budget, and makes recommendations for policy changes in their area of responsibility. The incumbent uses professional judgement and exercises delegated authority to make discretionary decisions that are exceptions to established regulations. The incumbent is part of the management team of Registrar and Enrolment Services (RES) and, as such, works collaboratively with the Registrar, Associate Registrars, other Assistant Registrars, International Education, Continuing Studies and Student Services leaders to coordinate and deliver effective registrarial services.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively senior level experience in a Registrar’s Office, including several years of management or supervisory experience in a post-secondary institution.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
- Experience developing and implementing new strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of the BC post-secondary system including the rules, regulations, procedures, and policies related to international and domestic admissions, advising, transfer credit and articulation, recruitment, and registration.
- Proficient in the use of computer applications including experience working with student information systems (e.g. Ellucian Banner).
- Experience in implementing new technology-based systems.
- Knowledge and experience using MS Excel at an intermediate level.
- Experience managing budgets and financial reporting.
- Experience with project management.
- Experience in organizing and managing events.
- Collegiality – values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility and respect.
- Problem solving and decision making – considers a wide range of information and perspectives to solve problems and make reasoned decisions; demonstrates a comfort with uncertainty and ambiguous conditions.
- Organizational awareness – understands and appreciates an organization’s internal culture and operating practices as well as the political and business climate in which the organization operates.
- Innovation – welcomes, generates, and implements new ideas and solutions that help to achieve and organization’s strategic goals.
- Student Focus – making decisions with the students in mind, focusing on providing the best possible experience for the student.
- Integrity – acts with openness, honesty and respect to build and maintain an environment of trust.
- Professional maturity – demonstrates courage to take on issues and make tough decisions while managing self with aplomb and emotional maturity.
- Tenacity, resilience and patience – believes that own actions and efforts will overcome obstacles, make progress and attain successful results.
- Business awareness – considers and understands the financial, operational and human perspective and the impact of decisions.
- Visioning and Strategic Thinking - energizes people around the vision and keeps the bigger picture in mind.
- Team Leadership – creates team spirit and helps to direct individuals toward achievement of team and organizational goals. Inspires others to do their best, develop professionally and contribute to the success of the leadership team.
- Relationship management – builds and maintains a crucial network of contacts both internally and externally.
- Communication – uses the power of personal interaction and language to effectively influence, inspire and lead others.
- Achieves results – goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through consultative and collaborate methods.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with students, staff, instructors, other post-secondary institutions, external agencies, and the general public.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community,
- Ability to establish good working relationships with other administrative personnel, instructors, staff, students, and the public.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Well-developed administrative, leadership and management skills.
- Ability to make sound decisions by exercising judgement, diplomacy, tact, and discretion in a high pressure, high volume environment with changing and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a co-operative work environment.
- Ability to develop, interpret, and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Salary Range: $63,391 - $84,521* - $92,973 Annualized (Pay Grade 09).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:15am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A026-18
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.