Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume, cover, and Supplemental Information Request) will not be considered.
Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Administrative Assistant (AA), is a member of the administrative team in the Office of the Academic Deans (hereafter, simply referred to as “the Office”). As a member of the Office, the Administrative Assistant provides confidential administrative support to the Dean of Nursing, and occasionally Provost and Vice-President, Academic and Students. The AA is responsible for organizing and maintaining the filing system for the Office including such files as those related to the Ministry, faculty grievances, contractual matters etc. The AA schedules, organizes and attends various meetings including taking minutes and preparing associated sensitive materials, and serves as administrative backup during collective bargaining. Under the direction of the Academic Administrative Manager (AAM), the AA provides support related to the Faculty appointment process, researches and compiles statistical information for reporting purposes, and assists all members of the Office, as required.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Requires a two (2) year Diploma or two year Associate Degree from a recognized post secondary institution. Courses in labour relations, negotiations, personnel practices and conflict resolution, bookkeeping or accounting would be an asset.
- Must have over five (5) years of recent related experience in progressively responsible administrative positions in a unionized environment,
- Experience in a post-secondary educational institution, where there are the usual fiscal constraints on public organizations is required.
- Experience providing administrative support to a Senior Academic position preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Experience with minute taking and have basic knowledge of Roberts Rules of Order.
- A high level of knowledge and superior competence in using MS Office applications at the advanced level, especially in a networked environment.
Skills & Abilities
- Possesses pro-active professional problem-solving abilities to provide exceptional support to the Deans.
- Must have well-developed interpersonal skills to interact professionally with people in a diplomatic and tactful manner, and to maintain effective working relationships with all constituencies of the College.
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to prepare minutes, documents, reports, etc., and express ideas clearly orally or in writing.
- Requires excellent organizational skills and the ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions and with minimal supervision, to cope with a demanding workload, and to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work effectively with those who are under pressure to meet numerous and conflicting deadlines themselves.
- Must be a team player, willing to work with others to resolve problems, and also able to exercise judgement and initiative to identify and respond to issues before they become problematic.
- Expertise in shorthand or speed writing, experience in verbatim minute taking, familiarity with the mechanics of minute taking during the collective bargaining process and well rounded administrative assistant competencies are also required.
- Accurate word processing skills of 45 wpm.
- Must able to handle confidential personal and sensitive information with discretion.
Salary Range: $44,598 - $59,465* - $62,438 Annualized (Pay Grade 3).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A061-19
Closing Date: 4:30PM on November 1, 2019.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Additional Information Required: Please click here to download the Supplemental Information Request (SIR) and submit the completed form with your application. Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.