**Applications submitted without a completed Supplemental Information Request (SIR) will not be reviewed. Please review the Application Instructions carefully.**
Permanent, Full Time
Dates: As soon as possible
The Administrative Assistant (AA), is a member of the administrative team in the Office of Indigenous Education and Services. As a member of the Indigenous Education and Services Office (hereafter referred to as ‘the Office’), the Administrative Assistant provides confidential administrative support to the Director of Indigenous Education and Services and occasionally to the Vice-President Academic and Provost. The AA organizes and maintains the filing system for the Office accessing files such as those related to the Ministry, College Executive members, Indigenous communities, etc. Schedules, organizes and attends meetings including taking minutes and preparing associated sensitive materials. Under the direction of the Director of Indigenous Education and Services (hereafter referred to as the DIES), the AA provides a welcoming environment in the Indigenous Gather Space, supports students with solutions or referrals, researches and compiles statistical information for reporting purposes, and assists the members of the Office, as required.
Education & Experience
- Requires a two (2) year Diploma or two year Associate Degree from a recognized post secondary institution. Courses in labour relations, negotiations, personnel practices and conflict resolution, bookkeeping or accounting would be an asset.
- Must have over five (5) years of recent related experience in progressively responsible administrative positions in a unionized environment,
- Must have experience working in an Indigenous organization or community.
- Knowledge and understanding of indigenous culture and traditions, preferably those of West Coast first nations groups.
- Experience in a post secondary educational institution, where there are the usual fiscal constraints on public organizations is required.
- Experience providing administrative support to a Senior Academic position preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Experience with minute taking and have basic knowledge of Roberts Rules of Order.
- A high level of knowledge and superior competence in using MS Office applications at the advanced level, especially in a networked environment.
Skills & Abilities
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to prepare documents, reports, etc., and express ideas clearly in writing or in person.
- Must have well-developed interpersonal skills to interact professionally with people in a diplomatic and tactful manner, and to maintain effective working relationships with all constituencies of the College.
- Ability to facilitate positive communication and cultivate working relationships with indigenous groups.
- Requires excellent organizational skills and the ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions and with minimal supervision, to cope with a demanding workload, and to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work effectively with those who are under pressure to meet numerous and conflicting deadlines themselves.
- Must be a team player, willing to work with others to resolve problems, and also able to exercise judgement and initiative to identify and respond to issues before they become problematic.
- Expertise in shorthand or speed writing, experience in verbatim minute taking, familiarity with the mechanics of minute taking during the collective bargaining process and well rounded administrative assistant competencies are also required.
- Accurate word processing skills of 45 wpm.
- Must able to handle confidential personal and sensitive information with discretion.
Salary Range: $1,657.46 - $2,071.83 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade G)
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30 am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and SIR (Supplemental Information Request) no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Shortlised candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Closing Date: November 26, 2017
Competition No.: A058-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.