Permanent, Full Time
Start date: As Soon As Possible
The Langara College Foundation is a registered charity which operates to raise funds and provide financial support to enhance student success at Langara College. The Foundation operates as a separate legal entity and works collaboratively with the College to fundraise for programs and services to support student success. This collaboration between Langara College and the Langara College Foundation, embodies an integrative partnership of shared services, whilst maintaining independence through separate governance structures and mandates. The Accounting Manager, Foundation is responsible for the management, implementation and oversight of all financial activities for the Foundation.
This position leads and effectively manages all financial and accounting activities for the Foundation and is responsible for the day-to-day accounting; review and reconciliation of all accounting records; monitoring, processing, and accounting for all donations and investments; and the control and reconciliation of all transactions affecting cash. This position is responsible for the preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements, coordinates with and assists the Foundation’s external auditors during the annual audit, and liaises with Langara College Financial Services staff.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, economics, finance, or accounting.
- CPA professional accounting designation and membership in good standing with CPA-BC.
- Minimally five (5) years of recent relevant experience in a mid-level financial or accounting position in areas of accounting and financial reporting, preferably in a not-for-profit entity. Supervisory experience, preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge of financial accounting and management, control and reporting procedures, practices and policies.
- Intermediate knowledge of enterprise computerized information systems used in financial, accounting and fundraising applications.
- Knowledge of internal control systems and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency of MS Excel, software to compile, quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, and/or projections.
- Experience working in charitable foundations and/ or post-secondary institutions, an asset
- Experience working with a financial and CRM systems. ERP and Raisers Edge experience an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Design, implement and evaluate financial data, reporting methods and procedures.
- Effective time management skills to handle dynamic and frequently changing priorities.
- Effective problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections
- Strong analytical, problem solving, project management and strategy development skills.
- Excellent organizational, project and time management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and has the ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with key stakeholders including but not limited to: prospective donors, donors, co-workers and other campus departments.
- Superior use of diplomacy and persuasive negotiating skills in contacts with donors and prospective donors.
- Ability to work independently and harmoniously within a team environment.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and performs functions with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to handle and safeguard confidential information and exercise discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Advanced level with MS Office including MS Word and Excel.
- Strong and demonstrated knowledge of CRA charitable policies.
- General knowledge and understanding of privacy policies.
- Collegiality – values and demonstrates inclusivity, openness, civility and respect
- Problem solving and decision making – considers a wide range of information and perspectives to solve problems and make reasoned decisions; demonstrates a comfort with uncertainty and ambiguous conditions
- Organizational awareness – understands and appreciates an organization’s internal culture and operating practices as well as the political and business climate in which the organization operates
- Innovation – welcomes, generates, and implements new ideas and solutions that help to achieve and organization’s strategic goals
- Student Focus – making decisions with the students in mind, focusing on providing the best possible experience for the student.
- Integrity – acts with openness, honesty and respect to build and maintain an environment of trust
- Professional maturity – demonstrates courage to take on issues and make tough decisions while managing self with aplomb and emotional maturity
- Tenacity, resilience and patience – believes that own actions and efforts will overcome obstacles, make progress and attain successful results
- Business awareness – considers and understand the financial, operational and human perspective and impact of decisions
- Visioning and Strategic Thinking - understands and embraces the organization’s vision and keeps the bigger picture in mind
- Team Focus – contributes to the team spirit and helps to support colleagues and their contributions to the overall success of the organization
- Relationship Management – builds and maintains a crucial network of contacts both internally and externally.
- Communication – uses the power of personal interaction and language to effectively influence, inspire and lead others
- Achieves results – goal-oriented individual who thrives on achieving outcomes through consultative and collaborate methods.
Salary Range: $68,145 - $90,860* - $99,946 Annualized (Pay Grade 10).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A049-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on October 12, 2018.
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.