Please read the posting and application information carefully. Applications without the required documents (resume, cover, and Supplemental Information Request) will not be considered.
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: January 1, 2019 to August 31, 2021
The Academic Administrative Manager (AAM) is responsible for leading, managing, and coordinating the operations of an Academic Dean’s Office and the provision of administrative support to the respective Academic Dean, Division Chairs and Academic Department Chairs, Assistant Department Chairs and Coordinators by designing, implementing and monitoring effective and efficient administrative systems, controls and procedures, and by supervising all support staff in the Office. The AAM supports the administration, program development, budgets, and projects for the area under the Academic Dean. This includes identifying resources and coordinating business reporting in order to achieve the goals and objectives of the academic area in alignment with the College’s academic and strategic priorities. The position liaises closely with the Academic Dean, Division Chairs and other directors and managers throughout the college. This position is also responsible for assisting with the development of projects and overseeing project operations within the portfolio of the Academic Dean.
Demonstrating initiative and pride in performance, the incumbent in this role provides exceptional leadership in developing an effective administrative team to provide quality service to the goals and objectives of the Academic Dean’s Office. The AAM ensures the Academic Dean and Division Chairs are supported in a manner that allows for the strategic use of their time. The AAM ensures resources are utilized appropriately, financial information of the Academic Dean’s Office is available and reliable, and applicable policies are followed. The AAM works with a high volume of information and materials which may be of a confidential and sensitive nature. Financial information is verified by the incumbent in this role on a regular basis and discrepancies and variances are drawn to the attention of the relevant Academic Dean and Financial Services.
For a copy of the position description, please click here.
Education & Experience:
- Baccalaureate degree preferred or minimum of two (2) years post-secondary diploma in a relevant field (business, legal office and office administration). Courses in labour relations, public administration, negotiations, human resources practices and conflict resolution, bookkeeping or accounting would be an asset.
- Must have over 5 years of recent related office and budget management experience at an executive level, preferably in a unionized setting, managing a complex office where a high level of confidentiality is required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Leadership, management and supervisory experience required.
- Experience with accounting and financial management practices, including budgeting and budget control responsibilities required.
- Knowledge and experience in a public post-secondary educational system would be an asset.
- Project management knowledge or experience would be an asset.
Skills & Abilities:
- A demonstrated proficiency in English and the ability to effectively communicate tactfully and with discretion, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent organizational, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills.
- A high level of knowledge and superior competence and currency in using MS Office applications at an advanced level.
- Accurate word processing skills of at least 45 wpm.
- Produces complete and accurate minutes from a variety of meeting situations.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with all constituencies of the College.
- Completes assignments within strict deadlines and with minimal supervision.
- Effectively organizes and prioritizes workload.
- Uses tact and discretion when providing information.
- Maintains confidentiality and handles sensitive information with discretion.
- Learns new skills as new activities are undertaken and changes in technology occur.
- Uses initiative and judgement to solve complex problems.
- Takes responsibility, displays initiative and makes independent decisions.
- Demonstrates superior accuracy and professional judgment.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task, be self-directed, to make decisions and to meet deadlines and changing priorities while maintaining a high level of service.
Salary Range: $58,968 - $78,624* - $86,486 Annualized (Pay Grade 08).
*Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Competition No.: A066-18
Closing Date: 4:30PM on November 22, 2018
Application Information: Please read the posting carefully and ensure you have your documents ready prior to applying. Please submit your resume and cover letter by the closing date and time.
Additional Information Required: Please click here to download the Supplemental Information Request (SIR) and submit the completed form with your application. Applications submitted without the SIR will not be reviewed.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.