Arriving in Vancouver
Langara College is located in South Vancouver with easy access to essential shops and services, and public transportation. Download a community map (pdf).
If you are arriving from Vancouver International Airport (YVR), and do not have someone picking you up, you can get to your destination a number of ways:
- Public transportation
- Courtesy Shuttle Buses (if you are temporarily staying in a hotel)
The airport website has the most current information to help you plan your trip into Vancouver. www.yvr.ca
Plan out your first week
- Phone home – your family will want to know that you arrived safely
- Visit the International Education (IE) Department in A107 - bring copies of your study permit, medical insurance, and any other important documents
- Pick up your Langara ID student card
Connect with others
- Pick up an activities and workshops calendar from IE and apply for Langara PLUS
- Make an appointment with an International Student Counsellor in the Counselling Department (B111) to plan your studies
- Set up your Langara accounts
Join IE social media groups to stay current with events on campus
Walk around the campus to find your classrooms, bookstore, library, and other facilities
Walk around your new residential neighbourhood and get familiar with shops and services in your community
- Pick up your U-Pass Compass Card and visit downtown Vancouver
All students are welcomed to campus in September with many orientation and welcome activities in the first weeks of the school year.
International students are invited to register for a special welcome and orientation session.This orientation is offered for terms beginning in September, January and May and information will be provided by email before arrival in Vancouver.
Students in LEAP will be invited to attend a special orientation at the start of their first session at Langara.
New International Students will be invited to attend a series of workshops to help with the transition to Langara.
The Get Ahead Workshop series specifically helps international students with new life at Langara. Topics include:
- Library and Learning Commons
- Canadian Classroom Expectations
- Councelling Services
- Get to Know Langara Instructors
There are a series of workshops designed for LEAP students. Information is available in class and on the LEAP Events page.