Start Date: May 1, 2017
Under the direction of the Lab Demonstrator (d) and Department Chair, this position is responsible for the preparation and delivery of chemistry laboratory experiments as part of a variety of college chemistry courses. This position also provides general maintenance of laboratory supplies, equipment, and demonstration kits. Occasionally, the position participates in development of new laboratory exercises.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a Bachelor of Science (Chemistry major) required.
- Two (2) years of chemistry laboratory experience combined with general maintenance of supplies, equipment, and demonstration kits.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge and experience of health and safety operations and requirements, including WHMIS safety standards and practices.
- Knowledge of first and second year level chemistry and laboratory techniques including operation of related equipment (e.g. computer operated instruments).
- Knowledge of the procedures, techniques, and methodologies involved in providing instructional support services in a chemistry laboratory environment.
- Proficiency in the use of computer applications including word processing, spreadsheet, database, email and Internet.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to instruct and demonstrate the use of different equipment to students.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, faculty, staff, students and members of the public.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply department rules, policies and technical materials.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to effectively supervise, direct and lead others.
- Ability to respond and manage potentially dangerous, hazardous, or emergency situations.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility.
- Ability to work flexible hours as required, as evening courses are routinely delivered.
Salary Range: $2,067.33 - $2,423.88 Bi-Weekly, to be prorated based on a .4 FTE workload (Pay Grade 27)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 9:15am - 5:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: March 23, 2017
Competition No.: C036-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.