**Applications submitted without a completed Supplemental Information Request (SIR) will not be reviewed. Please review the Application Instructions carefully.**
Temporary, Full -Time
Dates: As soon as possible to March 13, 2018
Reporting to the Manager of International Student Services, the International Education Assistant is a member of the International Student Services Team. This position is the first point of contact for the College’s International Education (IE) Department. This position is responsible for providing customer service to and handling inquiries from potential international students, relatives of potential students, agents, on-campus international students, staff and international guests. This position also verifies information on a variety of student forms and documents, ensuring the information provided is correct. The International Education Assistant manages the Front Desk operations and provides assistance and support to other IE team members.
Education & Experience:
- Grade 12 graduation and one year business or secretarial college training or equivalent.
- One year of recent related experience in an office and customer service setting.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Oral and written fluency in English and a second language. Fluency in one or more of the following languages is required: Hindi, Punjabi, Japanese, Vietnamese, or Portuguese.
- General knowledge of other cultures, their history, religions, norms and customs.
- Experience dealing with high volume inquiries and dealing with difficult and demanding individuals via front counter, e-mail and by phone, preferably in an educational institution.
- Prefer knowledge of College facilities, services, policies and operations as they pertain to International Students and Canadian students wishing to study abroad is an asset.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written. Ability to communicate effectively with non-native English speakers with varying degrees of English proficiency.
Salary Range: $1,501.06 - $1,698.10 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 17 + 5% language premium)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and SIR (Supplemental Information Request) no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: February 24, 2017
Competition No.: C025-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.