**Applications submitted without a completed Supplemental Information Request (SIR) will not be reviewed. Please review the Application Instructions carefully.**
Temporary, Full Time
Dates: February 1, 2017 to August 31, 2017
The International Admissions Assistant is responsible for receiving and processing international applications for admission into the College. Admissions duties involve verifying and validating supporting documents and admitting applicants into programs. The Admissions Assistant is a member of the International Admissions team and works to provide assistance and information to applicants, the Langara community and the public, regarding the College’s program admission requirements, and related academic policies and student services. The International Admissions Assistant also performs clerical support functions such as routine data entry using the Banner system, data verification of student information, updating lists/forms, typing correspondence, and performs other duties related to admissions as required.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 graduation plus 1 year successful completion of post-secondary studies.
- Two years recent related experience in a cross-cultural educational setting providing student support within a post-secondary environment, preferably for international students.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Oral and written fluency in Vietnamese. The secondary language requirement may change, as required, to reflect the current and projected international student population.
- Knowledge of post-secondary admission/registration policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of prerequisite, transfer credit and advance standing practices.
- Experience working with an integrated information system such as Ellucian Banner.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written. Ability to communicate effectively with non-native English speakers with varying degrees of English proficiency.
- Fluency in one or more of the following languages is preferred: Arabic, Mandarin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, or Turkish. This is in addition to the specific language requirement included above.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to set priorities when encountering conflicting demands.
- Ability to effectively work with and provide information, assistance, and related services to the public, faculty, staff, and students in a tactful, pleasant and helpful manner.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including a strong understanding and respect of cultural differences.
- Strong computer skills, including word processing (MS Word), familiarity with a large student records database (preferably Banner) and proficiency in using spreadsheets (i.e. Excel) and database software (MS Access).
- Ability to work well in a high volume environment and fulfil the demands of the position at peak periods (e.g. application deadlines and registration periods).
- Accurate keyboarding skills at a minimum 45 wpm.
- Ability to accurately enter information into software databases.
- Ability to handle confidential (academic) information responsibly.
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion, good judgement and diplomacy.
- May be required to work some non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends.
- Vacation time will need to coincide with low service periods.
- Ability to physically handle heavy materials and/or equipment (i.e. promotional materials, display stands for student events, etc).
- Position not subject to the compressed work schedule.
Salary Range: $1,526.46 - $1,729.45 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 18), plus 5% language premium
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and SIR (Supplemental Information Request) no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: January 23, 2017
Competition No.: C008-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.