Temporary, Full -Time
Start Date: As soon as possible to August 31, 2017
The Facilities Maintenance Worker is primarily responsible for minor repairs and maintenance of the College’s buildings and grounds. This position assists with furniture and equipment moves, and the set-up and take down of classrooms, functions, or special events. During absences or peak periods, the Facilities Maintenance Worker provides support to the Receiving unit by performing shipping and receiving duties, as necessary. This is a semi-skilled work of considerable variety and may perform other related tasks or duties.
Education & Experience:
- Completion of grade 12.
- Two years of work experience in one or more of the related trades and/or building maintenance work, preferably in a post-secondary or large corporate environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience using small carpentry related hand and power tools and ground related tools such as powered leaf blower, hedge trimmer, or chain saw.
- Experience operating a diesel powered bobcat.
- Knowledge and training in the use of computers, with experience in the use of an integrated database (e.g. Ellucian Banner), an asset.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively (orally and written) in English.
- Ability to use small carpentry related hand and power tools.
- Ability to use and safely operate grounds related tools such as gas powered leaf blower, hedge trimmer, chain saw.
- Ability to operate college owned diesel powered bobcat.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to handle heavy objects safely.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, and administrators and external contacts.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have or obtain a Class 5 driver’s license.
- Ability to work in inclement weather.
- Ability to work in major and minor conditions of dust, dirt, fumes, heat, cold, noxious odours, noise, vibration, confined work spaces.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position. Must be able to lift weights exceeding 10 kg.
- Position is not subject to the non-compressed work schedule.
Salary Range: $1,593.07 - $1,811.96 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 19)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 7:30am - 3:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: February 28, 2017
Competition No.: C030-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.