Permanent, Full-Time (3 Positions)
Start Date: May 1, 2017
The Department Services Assistant provides secretarial and administrative support to several Department Chairs within the primary Faculty as assigned. Key responsibilities include assisting the Chairs with the organization of faculty and support staff recruitment, faculty evaluation and new employee onboarding processes. This position is integral in coordinating internal and external meetings, and provides support in conference and events coordination, as required. The Department Services Assistant provides clerical and general office support to the Chairs, Assistant Chairs, and Coordinators, wherever possible to alleviate extraordinary needs for additional administrative support. This position works collaboratively with the Academic Administrative team to provide back-up during absences and may be assigned to support another Faculty. This position may perform other related duties and ad hoc projects, as required.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a one (1) year certificate in Applied Business or Business Administration (or equivalent).
- Four (4) years of recent related administrative experience, preferably within a post-secondary environment. Preference given to candidates with experience supporting multiple managers simultaneously.
- Thorough knowledge of post-secondary policies and procedures preferred.
- Knowledge of current office procedures.
Skills & Abilities
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and prioritize; strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet changing deadlines with frequent interruptions.
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgement and action when dealing with confidential and sensitive matters; ability to maintain tact and discretion.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a work team.
- Ability to adapt quickly to ongoing changes in procedures, policies, and organizational structure.
- Ability to learn and adopt new technologies and applications.
- Ability to develop and maintain spreadsheets and ongoing management of departmental statistics and reports.
- Strong computer skills and intermediate to advance proficiency in MS Office Suite applications, internet and email.
- Demonstrated ability to organize calendars, coordinate meetings, prepare agendas and take meeting minutes.
- Keyboarding: 45 wpm.
Salary Range: $1,656.00 - $1,884.18 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 20)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:30am - 4:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Closing Date: April 7, 2017
Competition No.: C038-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.