INTERNAL POSTING ONLY !
Permanent, Part-Time (.5 FTE)
Start Date: April 1, 2017
The Department Assistant provides administrative, program and operational support to the Langara School of Nursing. This position administers nursing student registration issues and liaises with students such as providing them with program information and compiling student progress reports. Performing a wide range of program and operational activities, examples of duties include administrative support to program regulatory functions, participating in process improvement committees and liaising between various internal and external parties. This position assists in the coordination of human resources activities including faculty recruitment, evaluation, and orientation. Additionally, this position provides secretarial support to the Department Chair and Assistant Chairs and coordinates internal and external meetings, seminars, conferences, and activities for the School of Nursing. Performs other related duties and or projects as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Gr. 12 completion, plus over one year of additional specialized training in business, office administration, medical office assistance, or secretarial skills. Completion of a 2-year related college diploma preferred.
- Four (4) years of related experience working with administrative and secretarial duties in an office environment, preferably within a post-secondary environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Medical office experience working with clients and agencies preferred.
- Proficient computer skills in a Windows environment, including word processing (MS Word & Word Perfect), spreadsheets (i.e. Excel) database software (MS Access), Internet searching and development/maintenance of information on a website, using Dream Weaver or related software.
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated proficiency in English and the ability to effectively communicate clearly and tactfully (both orally and in writing) with others.
- Ability to explain and follow complex policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Effective interpersonal skills and working relationships to deal professionally, diplomatically, and respectfully with the students, Faculty, members of the College, and public.
- Ability to adapt to variation in work scheduling such as exam duty shifts and attending meetings, as necessary.
- Ability to compose routine and non-routine correspondence, reports, and related material independently.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information and exercise tact, discretion, good judgement, and diplomacy.
- Ability to prepare and organize documents and reports with a minimum of supervision.
- Effective organizational and time management skills in meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible to changes with scheduling and priorities.
- Ability to work well and effectively with a demanding workload and frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member to resolve problems.
- Thorough knowledge of current office software, general office procedures and applicable guidelines with regard to effective office operations and administration.
- Ability to learn new software packages in a self-directed manner.
- Ability to produce and upload materials to the Web as needed.
- Keyboarding of 60 wpm and the ability to take verbatim minutes. Speedwriting or shorthand (100 wpm) an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and accurately prepare agendas and minutes.
Salary Range: $1,761.55 - $2,019.30 Bi-Weekly, to be prorated based on .5 FTE workload (Pay Grade 22)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: Approximately 17.5 hours per week; hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Closing Date: April 3, 2017
Competition No.: C046-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.