Permanent, Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Computer Support Technician provides IT technical support to users throughout the College through the Service Desk using a client-centered approach according to established policy, practices and standards. The CST will respond to hardware and software incidents as well as user requests. CSTs are expected to provide training to users in a one-on-one or group setting.
Education & Experience
- Two year Diploma in Computing Studies such as Applied Computer Science Technology Diploma, or Computer Information Systems Diploma.
- Two (2) years related experience in providing technical support to users, and working with computer systems, software, and hardware.
- ITIL Foundation Certification.
- A+ Certificate, an asset.
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (current version), an asset.
- Mac OS X Support Essentials certification (current version), an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Considerable knowledge of both PC and Mac hardware and software.
- Experience with installation, configuring, testing, troubleshooting repairs, and upgrades of various computer hardware, software, and peripherals.
- Knowledge of a variety of network and software applications required for providing user support in an IT environment.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with others, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to describe technical concepts to users and train users on computer-related equipment.
- Ability to determine and provide technical support advice and corresponding client-centered services.
- Ability to organize, to prioritize workload, and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Ability to problem-solve, troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve a variety of computer problems.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students, and service vendors.
- Ability to understand and keep up with constantly changing technical information.
- Ability to provide work and support clients in difficult and stressful situations on a daily basis.
- Ability to safely lift and carry various computer related equipment
- Flexibility to provide non-regular hours support by working the evening and/or weekend shift
Salary Range: $1,795.50 - $2,052.00 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 21)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 12:00pm - 8:30pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: February 3, 2017
Competition No.: C016-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.