**Applications submitted without a completed Supplemental Information Request (SIR) will not be reviewed. Please review the Application Instructions carefully.**
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Accommodation Assistant, Disability Services, provides support services to students with disabilities by arranging for academic, classroom, and examination accommodations. Facilitates the use of, and demonstrates, adaptive equipment and technology to students. Coordinates and schedules support staff. Performs reception, clerical/administrative and student data maintenance in support of departmental activities. May perform other related duties as required.
Education & Experience
- Grade 12 completion supplemented with a certificate in office administration (or equivalent), plus up to one (1) year of post-secondary courses in related fields such as psychology, social work, or health sciences.
- Two (2) years of recent related experience providing support services to individuals with disabilities, including some experience in providing clerical support and customer service. Preference given to candidates with educational, healthcare or similar working environment.
- Experience in complex scheduling using a computer-based calendar.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- In-person experience in dealing with people with disabilities and disabling conditions such as learning disabilities, visual impairments, and mental health conditions.
- Knowledge of adaptive technologies (hardware and software) available to students with disabilities.
- Experience in working with, and providing training in, adaptive technology, preferred.
- Knowledge of disability policies, procedures, and guidelines in an educational setting an asset.
- Experience working with a large integrated computer database, e.g. Banner, an asset.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to meet and communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing, with various groups, including faculty, staff, the public, and with individuals with diverse disabilities, in obtaining and conveying information about policies, procedures, and services in a helpful, patient, professional and pleasant manner.
- Ability to handle complex scheduling of examinations and service providers and deal with last minute scheduling changes.
- Ability to set-up and troubleshoot examinations accessed via computers, online learning management software, and adaptive technology.
- Ability to demonstrate and train students in adaptive technologies in the Learning Technology Lab.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to, and understanding of, the challenges faced by students with disabilities.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with maturity, tact, and discretion.
- Ability to organize, and prioritize to meet deadlines and work with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain student information and files in a confidential manner.
- Ability to exercise initiative in contributing input into improvement to departmental operations and service to students.
- Ability to take direction; work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and tactfully, and refer complex issues to the Consultants or Manager.
- Ability to respond and deal effectively with change and crisis situations and to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to work in a busy, fast-paced office environment.
- Computer savvy and proficiency in working with office related equipment and using software applications in a Windows environment, including word processing, mail merge, databases, spreadsheets, e-mail, Internet and websites.
- Demonstrated ability to pay close attention to detail and enter data with accuracy.
- Keyboarding skills: 40 wpm.
- Ability to work occasional evening shifts and weekends for accommodation services and exam invigilation.
Salary Range: $1,706.59 - $1,950.86 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade 21)
Employee Group: CUPE
Hours & Days of Work: 8:15 am - 4:30 pm. Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and SIR (Supplemental Information Request) no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.
Please note that internal applicants are given first consideration.
Closing Date: April 14, 2017
Competition No.: C051-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.