Job Title: Instructor, Professional Photo-Imaging
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time (.5 FTE)
Posting Type: Concurrent
Department/Program: Professional Photo-Imaging
Description of Position:
The Professional Photography Program is seeking an instructor to teach two sections of Photographic Explorations in the Summer 2017 semester. The position includes teaching the basics of photography through a variety of hands on projects using a wide variety of DSLR, point and shoot and cell phone cameras. Topics include camera fundamentals, digital photography fundamentals, composition, and photographic printing.
- Masters degree (or equivalent)
- Portfolio presentation of current work.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Technical knowledge of a variety of different image capture systems including DSLR, point and shoot and cell phone cameras.
- 3-5 years of industry experience is preferred.
- Teaching experience with college-level photography courses is preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain currency and strive for excellence in instructional practices and pedagogy.
- Maintain currency in relevant subject areas.
- Ensure effective use of available class time and supervise lab/studio time.
- Maintain appropriate office hours to ensure availability for student consultation.
- Must attend department meetings and assist with department duties.
- Maintain collegial working relationships, actively contributing to the department and College.
Learning Outcomes and course content:
This course introduces novice to beginner photographers to the basics of photography. They will build their photographic expertise and techniques through a variety of hands-on projects including the opportunity to choose an area of interest for a term project.
- Utilize basic camera functions with proper care and handling.
- Control exposure via shutter, ISO, and aperture with an understanding of equivalent exposure.
- Produce photographs demonstrating elements of composition and design.
- Explore concepts of light quality and direction.
- Control motion using shutter speed.
- Apply selective focus to demonstrate depth of field.
- Select a lens of appropriate focal length for compositional needs.
- Describe safety procedures and WHMIS related to photographic equipment and chemicals.
- Evaluate digital exposure using histograms.
- Discuss resolution requirements for screen and print.
- Demonstrate an improvement of photographic ability by term end.
- Establish a digital workflow including editing and archiving
- Propose and complete a term project based on supplied guidelines, fields of interest or topics.
Length of appointment: May 1, 2017 to August 31, 2017
Start Date: May 1, 2017
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Application Information: Please forward your resume and cover letter, no later than 4:30pm of the closing date to “Apply Here”.
Competition No.: F018-17
Deadline: April 7, 2017
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.