INTERNAL POSTING ONLY !
FOR DIVISION CHAIR PRO TEM POSITION
Social Sciences Division
A.S.A.P. to December 31, 2017
Part of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Management, the Social Sciences Division consists of the following departments: Asian Studies, Economics, Geography, History/Latin/Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology and Anthropology.
Division Chairs are responsible and accountable for providing leadership to their divisions and for carrying out a wide variety of duties. They are the senior leaders within the faculty bargaining unit. As such, they are a very important communication, administrative, and decision-making link between their faculty departments and all aspects of College Administration.
The Division Chairs work with Department Chairs, Assistant Chairs and Coordinators to ensure their duties and responsibilities are carried out and departments and programs follow College policies, procedures as recorded in all applicable Collective Agreements and the Policy and Procedures Manual and other appropriate College practices. The range of Division Chair duties was outlined in a document* dated October 16, 1996 and approved by the College and the LFA.
Division Chairs are expected to represent their division, as well as apply a cross-college perspective when providing advice and assistance to the Deans, to the Provost and Vice-President, Academic & Students and, where appropriate, to the President, regarding the overall management of the College. Division Chairs are further responsible and accountable for the management of their Divisions within the parameters established by budgets, Collective Agreements and College Policies and Procedures and for representing the Division and College on committees and at College functions, as appropriate.
This faculty position is subject to the terms and conditions of the LFA Collective Agreement (Article 10.7). Division Chairs are released from instructional duty at three-quarters of full-time for the purposes of performing leadership and administrative duties on behalf of the College.
*Please obtain a copy of this document from the Office of the Academic Deans.
- Must be full-time regular faculty.
- Proven experience as a Department Chair or Coordinator or an equivalent combination of training and/or experience.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership skills relative to the development of educational offerings and the creation of a learning environment that enables maximum success for learners.
- Ability to be a detail-oriented, hands-on instructional manager who does not lose sight of larger issues.
- Knowledge of our current curriculum development, approval and implementation procedures.
- Working knowledge of applicable College policies and LFA/CUPE agreements.
- Knowledge of scheduling practices applicable to courses, vacations, and faculty.
- Financial management abilities.
- Ability to manage and resolve interpersonal conflicts.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize multiple and competing demands.
- Ability to supervise and to provide performance feedback.
- Ability to manage change.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to represent the Division and College on committees.
- Knowledge of office computer applications.
- Familiarity with the subject matter of the Division’s instructional areas, sufficient to moderate discussions of curriculum and academic priorities and to represent the instructional needs of the entire Division at various college-wide forums (e.g. Langara Council, DDC, EdCo).
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully with colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to apply leadership skills and work as part of the instructional team to carry out the mandates and strategic initiatives of the College.
- Applicants must submit a covering letter and curriculum vitae indicating how their experience meets the requirements of this position.
- Qualified applicants may be considered for appointment to a position outside of the Division in which they instruct.
Term of Appointment
This pro tem appointment to the role of Social Sciences Division Chair will be until December 31, 2017. Further extensions may be offered.
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae no later than 4:30 p.m. on March 15, 2017, by clicking “Apply Here” below.
The selection process will commence shortly thereafter and the successful candidate will undergo orientation and assume the duties of Division Chair as soon as possible.
Deadline: March 15, 2017 (4:30 p.m.)