Start Date: March 15, 2017
The Manager, Business Operations is a supervisory position reporting to and is under the direction of the Vice President, External Development. The position is responsible for the day to day leadership and management of the unit and collaborates with the directors and managers of International Education, Regular Studies, Office of the Registrar & Student Services and other College departments to establish goals, priorities, programming and procedures in alignment with the College’s strategic and operational plans.
The Manager, Business Operations is responsible for progressing international programs related to administration, program development, project management, human resources and sustainable fiscal management within the International Education (IE) portfolio: International Student Services, Marketing and Recruitment, International Admissions, and Homestay.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate discipline such as education, cross-cultural studies, business administration or international education fields.
- Minimum five (5) years of recent and progressively senior level experience in International Education including a breadth of exposure to marketing and recruitment, student services, student engagement and retention programs.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
- Experience in customer centred (student/faculty) service and event management in a public post-secondary institution is desirable.
- Experience with the administration of budgets, financial reporting, human resources, and program delivery.
- Experience with dealing with the broad range of issues related to international students.
- Good knowledge of world geography, history, politics and current and local affairs.
- Considerable sensitivity to and experience in cross-cultural settings in various environments and with different cultural client groups.
- Knowledge of the British Columbia post-secondary education system.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate and deal effectively with others, providing clear and accurate information, both verbally, writing, and through presentations.
- Excellent cross cultural communication and presentation.
- Effectively lead, motivate and direct the work of others in a collegial and collaborative way.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the general public.
- Respond to challenges with innovative solutions or services, applying intuition, experimentation and alternate perspective.
- Ability to assess community trends/issues and their impact on education institutions.
- Resolve problems and issues by demonstrating sound judgement and applying analytical reasoning.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to interpret, link and analyze information to fully understand complex issues.
- Ability to meet changing priorities and deadlines while making responsible and non-routine decisions.
- Develop and inspire commitment to a vision of success when supporting, promoting and implementing the College’s values, strategies and policies
- Ability to interpret and apply College, government, agency, and departmental policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to use tact and discretion to deal with or settle complex requests.
- Understand key business drivers for performance and apply use of sound business practices.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, including organizing and assigning work.
- Maintaining effectiveness when managing urgent and dynamic priorities.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency MS Office including spreadsheet (i.e., Excel) and relational database (i.e., Access) software to compile, quantify, and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, and/or projections.
Salary Range: $2,300.89 - $2,876.11 Bi-Weekly (Pay Grade M – Under review)
Employee Group: ADMIN
Hours & Days of Work: Monday to Friday, however, hours may vary according to the needs of the department. This position is not subject to the compressed workweek schedule.
Application Information: To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date. For a copy of the position description please click here.Please note that internal applicants may be given first consideration.
Closing Date: February 9, 2017
Competition No.: A006-17
We thank you for your interest and advise that only those shortlisted will be contacted. Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.